Thread: Stereo Upgrade

Default Stereo Upgrade

Well having a few great years with my current set up, I think that I want to upgrade my stereo system. I am talking a whole entire makeover. There is nothing wrong with my system, I just feel the need to upgrade. I am thinking of getting these "Bullet 650HPCOAX 6.5" Coax Speaker from Earmark Audio. I have not decided on the Amps yet. The only two things that I will keep are the Kenwood Head Unit and the Boston Acoustic G3 10" sub. I will need a total of 10 speakers. I just wonder if these will fit or match up with the holes that I have with the LED rings that I bought from Earmark. I guess I need to call them up to see if they fit. That might be the deal breaker for me. Not sure how much I want to spend yet.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

figure out how much you want to spend..........then multiply that by 1.5 or 2 and that is what you will end up dumping into a new setup That's pretty much how I roll

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Pretty much spot on. All the little things will add up...
    Keep us posted..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Call David up. I'm sure he can help you out.

I am running my Bullet coaxials with the JL G4500 because I couldn't justify the extra $100 in stepping up to the JL 6 channel for just a few more watts. I'm using a pair of JL G1300s to push the 4 tower speakers. The amp setups came recommendations of David and endless amounts of research.

I love the look of the Bullets. Not sure exactly what you are talking about on the led light rings but i can tell you the Bullets are a little larger than the Polk DB651s I previously ran. The Bullets are tight but they do fit.

Are you thinking HLCD or Coaxial on the tower? I went with Krypt on the tower due to price, size, and they are a good cosmetic match to the Bullets.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

They are the coaxial speakers. I already have cans for the tower. I just need to replace the speakers. I just might start there and work my way to the cabin. 4 new tower speakers, and a new amp. In regards to the light rings, I had earmark make me some for the MB Quartz that I have. I was just wondering if they will fit on the Bullet 650's? I will call on Monday to get a full price. Still not sure if I want to go with a 6 channel or a 700.5 channel amp. Currently I have a Kicker 700.5 amp that runs the cabin and the sub. The two rear cabin speakers are ran in series. I am not sure if I want to keep it that way or go with a full 6 channel amp and get a new amp for the Boston Acoustic G3 sub that I have.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

I ran a 4 channel for the 6 cabins and have a dedicated sub amp. That gives me somewhere around 89-90 rms to the in-boat coaxials, which is what they are rated at.

The 6-channel pushed about 10 more rms per channel but it was $100 more and i knew i wouldn't need the extra wattage because even at 80ish rms, the cabins will likely be turned down.

Bet David will be the only one that can answer your light ring question.

I went Krypt so i could have HLCD's on the tower and a pair of those weren't much more than a pair of on sale Bullet coaxials. I know David will preach against the Krypts but it fit the bill for me perfectly. They slide right into my factory cans. I think your only other option (outside of coaxial) is a Kicker setup.

Here is a comparison of the Bullet Coaxial and the Krypt HLCD sitting side by side. I ran the Bullet Coaxial in the tower last summer.

Last edited by KG's Supra24; 04-02-2011 at 01:38 PM.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

My Krypt grills look like your Bullet grilles, of which believe they are copies. I like yours better actually.
    2013 Outback V

I run my 6 Bullet coax speakers on 4 channels and a JL sub on 2 channels on the JL G6600 amp

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    ..........then multiply that by 1.5 or 2 and that is what you will end up dumping into a new setup

and just where was this tidbit of info before I started?????
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart