Hybrid View

Default Started my Spring Projects...

I brought the boat back to my house from its winter storage and decided to brave the cold and dive into some of the projects for which I've been accumulating parts all winter. link

First up I decided to dive into the transom LED.

A blank canvas:

I masked the transom to protect the gel coat when drilling, and also to give me a place to mark measurements and do long division, lol:

A little nervous to drill below the water line, but no worries. I used a 3/8" bit to drill a pilot hole, then opened up the outside edge with a UniBit to accomodate the larger diameter of the grommet thing, and it worked perfect:
    Last edited by brain_rinse; 03-26-2011 at 11:07 PM.
    2013 Outback V

Test fitting:

To secure it I put a bunch of silicone on the back then pressed the light onto the transom, securing with a little bit of tape:

To hold it in place I ran up to the hardware store and picked up 3x #10 2" Stainless Steel sheetmetal screws - they fit perfect and really snugged it into place, squeezing a decent amount of silicone out all the way around (only partially cleaned in this picture.) I also backed filled it, but couldn't get a picture as it was pretty tricky wiggling back there to get it done:
    2013 Outback V

Next up I decided to tackle my new switch panel idea. Last night I made lead wires for each switch, securing the wires, then heat shrinking, and adding water-proof m/f connecters, to make today's install easier. Let me tell you, I'm glad I did! Made things MUCH easier, there is no way I could wire these things in the boat.

Started off with the blue tape again:

More math and markings:

I used a hole saw that came with the reverse camera I bought for my Jeep to cut these holes, it was the perfect size and got the job done quick and clean!

Buttons in place:
    2013 Outback V

After this I started the big project of re-wiring all of my LEDs. Since I've installed them all at different times there are different wires and its all a mess that I've been wanting to clean up for a while. What I'm doing now is running a +/_ line down both gunnells, and tapping into it for each of the LEDs. For the speakers I used more of the m/f waterproof connectors, so I can easily pop them off if I need to, and don't have to worry about damaging the wires. While I was at it I decied to re-do the wiring that runs through the bow, which includes 3 phone cords (Sub level, and Kicker Dual Zone Control), drivers sub wire, drivers side tower speaker wire, new mainline for LEDs, tower amp remote turn on (which will be wired to one of the switches above), and something else that I think I'm forgetting. Instead of using split loom, which I had previously, and holds a ton of water, I had some left over TechFlex braided loom, much nicer looking and seems like it would disburse water a lot better than split loom. So, I completed the ardous task of getting all of the above mentioned lines throug the tech flex. Now I've just got to run power to my switch panel, wire up the rest of the LEDs (drivers side), wire up the switches, and that aspect of the project is done. After that its time for the Exile SX65's! If it stays dry I'll hopefully get much of this done tomorrow.
    2013 Outback V

I hate that I can't edit to fix the link on my first post.
    2013 Outback V

I fixed your link. Let me know if you need other changes and I'll be happy to help.