Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Ballast Timings and comparisons

Thanks to Moombadaze for helping me out with a little flow test timing compilation. I was curious as to how all of our modifications stack up with our different methods of upgrading the stock ballast or building new systems. Surprisingly the results are not that drastic between the different methods. Some of the results were a lot lower than what I would have expected. You can use the chart to divide your total weight by 8.35 (Weight of a gallon of water) and then divide that by the GPM of each setup. If you are going to use a three Tsunami pumps to fill 3 450 pound bags, your fill time would be around 7.19 minutes, since the pumps can pump at 7.5 gpm to each bag the fill time will match the chart. These timings get a little more complex with the multi valve setup. From the chart you can see my newest setup can do 11.54 gpm through 1 valve filling a 450 in 4.67 minutes three minutes faster than a single Tsunami, but filling 3 450s through three valves will take 9.33 minutes which is 2 minutes slower than three single Tsunamis. With all that said, either method is better than the stock 20 plus minutes and the end result is less than two minutes of fill time.

If you can do a test that is not listed above (Hint hint Ed with those Jabscos), please email me the test you performed, boat model and timings. These tests must be done through the full setup like Moombadaze has done not from just a pump dumping water. The GPM of a Tsunami 800 is 13.33 GPM at the head, but is 7.5 gpm through all of the hoses and fittings as in Stacy’s case. If you are already on the water, pull one of your bags fitting and time how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket, you can use a 1 gallon bucket, but a 5 gallon one will give you a better average.

My tests were done very similar to his, 5 gallon bucket pumped dry and timed. Time was divided by 5 to get the Gallon Per Minute (GPM) and the chart filled in appropriately.

Also If I have made any mistakes with my Shade Tree calculations, please correct me where I have given invalid data. The data will be different for some models hose length and pump location are a HUGE factor. I still need to fill in a few boxes this weekend from the new valves with the old pump.

So if you ask me which setup should you go with, my answer would be "It depends". In some cases each method is faster.

Stock setups are highlighted in Yellow.

15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Great idea! I'm working on my Tsunami 1200s w/ 1" lines install now and should have some data for you next week.

Nice work putting this together, Gotta say thanks to you Jesse as I never would have done bench timing test if you had not done it first.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Would like to see 3 800 pumps, 3 intake results with vented loop results; 3 800 pumps, 1 intake with vented loops. Also, are the stock sprinkler valves in the 08 GGIII system the 3/4" valves? Judging by the numbers looks like it would take well over 20 min to fill a center sac with two 750 rear sacs.

Outstanding work. I hope to have some 09 numbers with an upgrade for ya in about 5 weeks....blah if the ice is gone
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Thats really helpfull. I have the 2000 pump and the 3/4" orbit valves. So just by upgrading to the Irritrol 700 valves at 3/4" I can cut my fill time in half. Thats awsome! Thats like a $50.00 or $60.00 upgrade!
    2023 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Malibu VLX 21 - SOLD
    2005 Moomba XLV - SOLD
    2001 Supra - SOLD
    1998 Master Craft - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by stretch55 View Post
    Thats really helpfull. I have the 2000 pump and the 3/4" orbit valves. So just by upgrading to the Irritrol 700 valves at 3/4" I can cut my fill time in half. Thats awsome! Thats like a $50.00 or $60.00 upgrade!
    I am not sure if it would double. Your setup should be the same as moombadaze's old one. A 750 bag would go from a fill time just shy of 14 minutes to a fill time of just over 10 minutes. What all bags do you have?
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

What pump is this system using at 2,000 GPH, make and model, is this a two pump in and out system for multiple bags? Is the pump self priming? Aslo What type of thru-hull should be installed size, and maybe a model and what location of boat?
    Thanks, Adam

Quote Originally Posted by sandler312 View Post
    What pump is this system using at 2,000 GPH, make and model, is this a two pump in and out system for multiple bags? Is the pump self priming? Aslo What type of thru-hull should be installed size, and maybe a model and what location of boat?
    Thanks, Adam
    If you are referring to the top most part of the chart, that timing is just a base line for what the pump can actually do at the head. You would have to connect vented loops and other hoses to make it work. The top chart is simply a pump only test. The 2000 gph pump is a Rule 2000gph which is no longer available. It hase been replaced by the 1600gph tournament pumps. Your through hull fitting can be whatever you want them to be. I chose 1" scupper style that sccops water and supplys low water pressure to the inlet, some of the others have chosen the flat port style to avoid pressure buildup which would force water through the vented loops. What kind of design are you going for?
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

http://www.boatersland.com/att665533.html is that the correct thru-hull? Also found the pump I think : http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xca...e_1600GPH.html

How is th epump connected if it is not self priming?