Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting out of the water with a 2 wheel drive

hey, i just ordered an 05 xlv, i was just woundering if it is possibe to get this boat pulled out of the water with a 2 wheel drive f-150. I have seen a lot of trucks spin the rear tires all the way up the ramp (even when the ramp is not wet) with lighter boats then this? Is it possible, or should i not take any chances.

Default Replying to Topic 'Getting out of the water with a 2 wheel d

I pull my Outback LS with a 4 by 4 F150,but I have never had to put it in 4 wheel drive to get up the ramp.
    jy

I pull my mobiusV out with a 2WD chevy and it works fine. On some ramps the tires do spin but I just ease it out and try not to break the tires loose. Once you start that spin you need to stop and try it again real slow. You dont want the tires to spin. You also get crap all over your boat when you let the tires spin. I see people doing that all the time and they will be throwing rocks and algea all over the boat. It also helps to have a good set of tires on your truck to grip the ramp.

I don't think it will normally be a problem. Most people I've seen that have problems tend to have them because they think the harder the put the accelerator down the better off they'll be. Just ease into it and don't break the tires loose. If you do, just stop and start again. Don't be one of those guys that turns one of his rear tires into smoke all the way up the ramp.

If your truck has a limited slip rear end it might help and might not. From my understanding, if one tire completely loses traction with a limited slip, then the differential will not lock up. You could always spend the cash and put an electronic locker differential in the rear if it turns out to be a big problem. Or a cheap solution would be just to carry a bucket of sand in the back of the truck in case the ramp gets really slick.

I don't think it will normally be a problem. Most people I've seen that have problems tend to have them because they think the harder the put the accelerator down the better off they'll be. Just ease into it and don't break the tires loose. If you do, just stop and start again. Don't be one of those guys that turns one of his rear tires into smoke all the way up the ramp.

If your truck has a limited slip rear end it might help and might not. From my understanding, if one tire completely loses traction with a limited slip, then the differential will not lock up. You could always spend the cash and put an electronic locker differential in the rear if it turns out to be a big problem. Or a cheap solution would be just to carry a bucket of sand in the back of the truck in case the ramp gets really slick.

i pull my moomba lsv gravity game fine with a 1989 2 door ford festiva with a towing package. not really

Shouldnt havea problem, I've never had 4WD and pulled boats for years. If you do start to spin the tires, let off on the gas, get your crew to sit in the bed of the truck or stand on the bumper.

I pull my outback with a f150 v8 auto, with the limited slip rear-end. I have seen it many times where trucks without the LSD's will spin and have a hard time going up the ramp. If you dont get a 4X4 definitly get the LSD rear-end. Its also wise to not smash the gas when pullling it out of the water, you will slip. We normally just push the button for "over-drive off" on our f150 and it pulls up the ramp without any problems. I also helps if you dont put you back wheels in the water.

I pulled with 2wd Caravan for a bit until I trashed the tranny. Biggest problem is that many of our ramps have concrete tiles and they all seem to end about 4 inches shorter than I need. So the trailer drops of the end of a 6 inch square curb. So pulling out, the first movement of the trailer is straight up over the curb.

I personally would never pull anything this heavy without 4WD.

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off