Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Venting ballast bags??

I know this is a dumb question. But what is the reason to vent the rear bags from the top port hole ? Is is to burp the air in the bag or help them drain?
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Both. It lets all the air escape when filling them up, plus it helps them drain more completely.

Got mine vented with a hose and thru hull.

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    Both. It lets all the air escape when filling them up, plus it helps them drain more completely.
    Lots of people use a one way valve and tee to the drain line at the thru hull. If the drain line is full of water when the pump is emptying, how does this help drain?

Dont trailer so don't néed to burp bags much.

Ydm, I don't want more thru hulls especially looking at an ibs with two more drain pump..

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Lots of people use a one way valve and tee to the drain line at the thru hull. If the drain line is full of water when the pump is emptying, how does this help drain?
    That's how mine are hooked up. Not sure the physics behind it but it works great. Before the venting there would always be a few gallons that wouldn't drain, and now with the vents they suck down flat with very little water left.

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post

Dont trailer so don't néed to burp bags much.

Ydm, I don't want more thru hulls especially looking at an ibs with two more drain pump..
    I know i owe you pics bro lol. I just havnt been able to get my system back together my boat looks like a bomb went off but i should have it almost all together in a week.

IBS you only need 1 additional threw hull. You can use 2 pumps 1 on each leg, you Y them together and out the same threw hull.

Why vent your bags?

Well mainly this is because no matter what you do you can get air in the bags. 1st summer i didnt run vents as my Factory bags didnt have them, i also had 50 or so lb of water in my rear bags. and when i filled them this air stays in there as well as the Ski locker bag.

I got my 750s and they have vents so i used a Y and Ted them into the exiting drain right before the threw hull. This does 2 things.
    1 it allows any air in the bags at any time to escape, and they will get air filling because of you pull the boat out of the water you drain the boat of the water from the inlet to the pump. Also a lot of the time when you go to fill the bags there is air in the manifold from the valve to the bags. So you never truly get your correct weight from the bags.
    2 it allows the bags to drain when its full as an over flow. Yes the bag will over pressure your drain pump and drain if you don't have a vent but this allows the system to drain when full with very little extra pressure on the fill and drain pumps so the pumps are under less stress.

Ski locker bag unless you have some sort of check valve will almost always get air in it because the drain is on the curved section of the bow. So as you trailer the boat it tends to pick up air pressure and fill with air.

Lastly to your question of how does the drain line work if you have it Ted to the vent. 2 ways, 1 is the check valve is a 1 way line and when the pump is draining it cant use the vent. I don't use a check valve, and yes a little water drains down the vent but whats really happening is it creating a Vacuum based on the venturi concept and as the water passes the vent under pressure most of it skips over the Y joint and creates a vacuum and actually pulls any air out of the sac.
    2 This also in turn allows the drain pumps to drain all the water because said vacuum is behind the water pulling air out so the heavier water will stay near the drain source.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Mike, That last part makes sense without the one way valve. Using a Yvs. a T should help that. will a one way valve on the front bag with only two ports help it drain any better??

Holmes on Holmes taught me that air behind water makes it better for flow....

Could use use a plumbing mini vent on the third hole?, should be simple. I may give that a whirl.
    Last edited by jmvotto; 03-16-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: cant friggin type

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Mike Holmes is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by NCSUmoomba View Post
    Mike Holmes is my hero!
    I wish i could get him to cross the border and fix my leaning cabin at the lake, i would do a show or two.....

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

what if you don't have a vent in your factory bags. Can you still vent them or would if be worth it.