Hybrid View

Default Thru-Hull Drilling - Bit to use?

I need to know what type of drill bit to use to drill a 1' hole for a Thru-Hull Intake for an additional ballast pump.I am concerned about chipping the finish. I would assume you would drill it from the outside. I am looking at the WakeMAKERS.com Complete Impeller Pump Ballast Kit.
    07 LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
    I need to know what type of drill bit to use to drill a 1' hole for a Thru-Hull Intake for an additional ballast pump.I am concerned about chipping the finish. I would assume you would drill it from the outside. I am looking at the WakeMAKERS.com Complete Impeller Pump Ballast Kit.
    Any wood holesaw will work.... tape the outside and drill in reverse( i do the whole hole in reverse)... i would start on the outside then switch to inside and drill about an eighth inch then go back to the outside and. Finish the whole.... this way the inside will not split/splinter when u push thru.....

Chamfer the hole as well... so u dont get chips and stress cracks..

Thank you!
    07 LSV

I used a diamond hole saw use for tile to get through the gelcoat then drilled through the rest forward with a regular wood bit much quicker

I figured if it wont chip ceramic tile it shouldn't chip the gelcoat
    2007 Outback V

Everything posted above. Use tape on the hull prior to starting, start on the outside. The drill bit will work its way through, then finish from the inside. Start both sides in reverse. Once done, use some sand paper and round (or chamfer) the edges of the gel coat, this will help prevent gel coat cracks. Measure several times, you only get one shot.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier