Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: switch power?

Default switch power?

I took my 08 outback out today, and had no switch power on the switch panel. So no bilge, no lights no ballast. It worked the last time I came out. Also the auto bilge was stuck on the last time we went out, I hit the breaker reset, and it stopped that. I checked the ground and power wires for the switch at the battery, but everything looked fine. Any ideas?
    08 Outback. Private Lake Owner.

I went on a hunt tonight, continuity tester in hand. Seems my whole fuse block under the dash is dead. I checked the wires at the battery, nice and tight. I tripped the reset mounted on the carpeted panel abover the battery, no improvement. Any ideas? Why would my fuse block be dead? I had this happen before, and it was a loose ground wire at the battery, reset and tightned solved. no luck tonight.

you might have a bad circuit breaker. Check to see if power is going into it and not coming out. If so then check at the fuse block for power into it.

If none of these have power then you need to check ground and work the same way back.

Hope it helps
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I guess what is so strange is that I checked the circuit breaker and had power going in and comming out of it, but then no power at the block, which leads me to belive there is a problem with the positive lead going into the fuse block, which is strage, as its just a wire that run from the circuit breaker trip (red button above battery) I need to continuity test that wire I guess.

You just can't beat a $10 to $20 multimeter. You can check continuity and voltage. You should be able to trace down the points where voltage flows and doesn't flow within minutes. Even I can do it and I can't set my own clock radio.

David
    Earmark Marine

Does your boat have the large plug at the front of the engine that is about 2" in diameter? I have been chasing a ground problem in my dash for about two years now and I think I found it with that plug. If I go in the engine compartment and unplug that cable all power is lost. I just give it a snug push in and everything comes back to life. Also check the breaker on the box that it plugs into. I know this sounds strange, but all of my gauges and switches go crazy or don't work at all when this plug comes loose. The plug has about 6 "connection points" in the harness/plug. This is the only cable/plug in the boat that I do not understand. Underneath the box that it plugs into is where it is grounded to the block.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

In the past I noticed that the battery positive and negative go back to the engine compartment and not directly to the dash (02 LSV) On the front of the engine is a box with a breaker push button with a large cable/plug that runs up to the dash. In this plug is the positive and negative connections for the dash. Try unplugging the cable, clean the contacts and then plug it back in. Also try removing the cover and checking for power going in and coming out of the box. This may not be how the 08 is done, but I figured I would post what I have found just in case.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

where is the breaker on the engine? I lifted up the clamshell lsat night and looked on the back of the engine, (back of engine = the other side of the engine opposite the drive belt) where all the plugs and stuff are, and didnt see a reset button.

You may not have one. I do not know how the new ones are wired. When I traced my wires to their origin I found that the helm went back to the engine compartment. Mine is locaed on the end of the block just above the starter.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

So, on the red reset switch above the battery, did you reset the black "arm" on the bottom of the little box. That provides power after you push the red button (at least on my boat).
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier