Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default In-boat cooler insulation

Who has added additional insulation to the in-boat cooler and how did you do it? How were the results?
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Do a search for that and you'll find more than a few threads with dismal results.
    2007 Mobius LSV

yea i did a search, i was hoping to accumulate thoughts in one place and try to compare strategies. There has to be a solid solution.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Well i tried them all; foam, HVAC insulation, insulating blanket. All were a waste of time. I even HVAC insuled the seat bottom, nope. Finally put a small igloo marine cooler in the starboard locker, problem solved, more capacity and ice for days. The seat cooler is now small item storage.

On a side note i discovered when winterizing the boat that the under seat cooler had cracked on the bottom. It's made from plastic and i could seal the crack easily but i might just cut the damn thing out all together. Useless it is.

SC could easily make better coolers and for the life of me i can't figure why they don't.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Razz, where is your cooler? I think ours is in a different location than yours.

So none of the remedies yielded any noticeable results?

mine is the rigid plastic unit under the seat directly behind the drivers seat. believe most have it there. I gave up on it as a cooler after the first try. no drain and no insulation make it useless as a cooler. it does however work real well to keep the boat snacks in just incase something leaks/melts or spills. keeps it out of the carpet. that's what mine has evolved into..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Here's where the cooler is, see it?

Saw no real noticeable results, still had to add ice everyday. The only way i could see to get noticeable results would be to use liquid expanding foam but i wasn't doing that as it would be almost impossible to remove.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Mobius LSV

Sandm, your 20 has no drain? Mine had a drain that went into bilge. Our best method was corking the drain, laoding the cooler, and PACKING as MUCH ice as possible into it. When we just used 1 bag, it was always gone asap. Normally, 2 reg size bags and the cork would keep ice all day, not a ton, but enough to keep everything nice and cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Here's where the cooler is, see it?

Saw no real noticeable results, still had to add ice everyday. The only way i could see to get noticeable results would be to use liquid expanding foam but i wasn't doing that as it would be almost impossible to remove.
    Theres a cooler in that picture?

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    mine is the rigid plastic unit under the seat directly behind the drivers seat. believe most have it there. I gave up on it as a cooler after the first try. no drain and no insulation make it useless as a cooler. it does however work real well to keep the boat snacks in just incase something leaks/melts or spills. keeps it out of the carpet. that's what mine has evolved into..
    Well at least mine has a drain, not that it matters.
    2007 Mobius LSV