Thread: Depth finder

Default Depth finder

How hard is it to install one of these one an lsv. I see i can buy one for about 225 but don't know if im technical enough to install it

I would think that it's just power/ground/illum. for the gauge and running a wire back to the transducer that gets stuck to the bottom of the bilge?

not much to them. would think the worst part would be running the wire back to the engine compartment and drilling some sort of hole in the cockpit for the gauge..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I installed one in my boat. There are several different ones with different features. Mine is a standard depth finder with air and water temps. I had to cut a 2" hole for the gauge. I then ran the wiring to an area in the bilge where I put the puck (transducer). The transducer that I got needs to be epoxied into place. They make ones that must be through-holed, which means cutting a hole in the bottom of the boat. Another wire goes to where you want the air temp read, I used the air inlet for the engine box. The other wire goes to pick up water temp. You can drill the bottom of your boat for that too. I chosed to inplant that pickup into the raw water pick up in my boat. The gauge needs a power and ground, with I hooked into a rocker switch on my panel that had nothing on it. The last thing was hooking up the alarm buzzer and mounting that.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
    I installed one in my boat. There are several different ones with different features. Mine is a standard depth finder with air and water temps. I had to cut a 2" hole for the gauge. I then ran the wiring to an area in the bilge where I put the puck (transducer). The transducer that I got needs to be epoxied into place. They make ones that must be through-holed, which means cutting a hole in the bottom of the boat. Another wire goes to where you want the air temp read, I used the air inlet for the engine box. The other wire goes to pick up water temp. You can drill the bottom of your boat for that too. I chosed to inplant that pickup into the raw water pick up in my boat. The gauge needs a power and ground, with I hooked into a rocker switch on my panel that had nothing on it. The last thing was hooking up the alarm buzzer and mounting that.
    Which gauge did you use? Any pics?
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    Which gauge did you use? Any pics?
    I second this
    2005 Air Nautique SV211 Team Edition
    99 Moomba Boomerang- Sold

I installed a depth finder during this past winter (hopefully winter is over). It wasn't that bad of a job, of coarse my LS had a gauge hole that was not being used by the shifter. I wired mine to the ignition switch so it would come on when the engine is started and goes off when cut off. If you are going to use the one that the transducer glues to the bottom of the boat its a pretty simple install. One of the toughest part was fishing the transducer cable from the engine compartment to the dash. Just locate the opening in the engine compartment that all of the existing cables run up to the dash. Take a piece of house electrical wire and tape the transducer cable to it and fish wire through the hole. It helps to have someone with a small hand to retreive the cable in the hole under the dash were the cables come out. The link below is like the one I installed but it didn't have the water temp pick up included, but I did only give $75.00 for it new and came with the chrome trim.
    (also a pic of mine installed)
    If you have any questions or need more pics drop me a email or I can post them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lowra...item3f047ee006
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Patrick
    '08 Mobius LS. 4 Blade OJ 13x13 Prop.
    Kenwood KMR440U & RC107MR, T600-2 Rockford Fosgate powering 2 Liquid Acoustics 8" HLCD, Kicker SKM10 subwoofer
    5 light- light bar.
    2015 RAM 3500HD Dually 6.7 Diesel w/ Aisin 6 speed tranny
    Live life today!

Quote Originally Posted by harmsway View Post
    I installed a depth finder during this past winter (hopefully winter is over). It wasn't that bad of a job, of coarse my LS had a gauge hole that was not being used by the shifter. I wired mine to the ignition switch so it would come on when the engine is started and goes off when cut off. If you are going to use the one that the transducer glues to the bottom of the boat its a pretty simple install. One of the toughest part was fishing the transducer cable from the engine compartment to the dash. Just locate the opening in the engine compartment that all of the existing cables run up to the dash. Take a piece of house electrical wire and tape the transducer cable to it and fish wire through the hole. It helps to have someone with a small hand to retreive the cable in the hole under the dash were the cables come out. The link below is like the one I installed but it didn't have the water temp pick up included, but I did only give $75.00 for it new and came with the chrome trim.
    (also a pic of mine installed)
    If you have any questions or need more pics drop me a email or I can post them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lowra...item3f047ee006
    WHOW had to take a double take on your pic Harms LOL.
    Looks almost like mine LOL. I flushed mine in though. You depth gauge is a bit different though

Heres the write up i did for it. It also has a realy nice close up of the flush mount me and Newty did.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10211
    Last edited by mmandley; 03-08-2011 at 02:24 PM.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    WHOW had to take a double take on your pic Harms LOL.
    Looks almost like mine LOL. I flushed mine in though. You depth gauge is a bit different though
    I thought hard about flush mounting the remote, but I just could not bring myself to cut the hole. You can't beat that Kenwood set up. Everything is at you finger tips.
    Patrick
    '08 Mobius LS. 4 Blade OJ 13x13 Prop.
    Kenwood KMR440U & RC107MR, T600-2 Rockford Fosgate powering 2 Liquid Acoustics 8" HLCD, Kicker SKM10 subwoofer
    5 light- light bar.
    2015 RAM 3500HD Dually 6.7 Diesel w/ Aisin 6 speed tranny
    Live life today!

I agree with you on the set up. TBH i couldnt get my self to cut it eighter, i called AWS and asked how much for a new panel incase i messed it up. Then i called my local boat butcher.

Boat Butcher? Ahh yea Newty. For a 6pack of Bud Light Lime Newty was more then willing to cut my panel up as an experiment lol.

So we did it at his place and then later he bought the same stereo and remote and did it to his.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]