Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Orleans Mission Trip

Hi everybody. I mentioned the mission trip to New Orleans I'm doing with my 2 oldest sons this summer on another thread, and I've had quite a bit of inquiry about it, so I figured I'd start my own thread about it. Thanks for all your feedback and support!!!

There are ~45 of us going (youth & adults, ~75% youth). We'll be taking a bus there (hopefully ours will be fixed by then) on June 26th, and returning July 2nd or 3rd.

New Orleans has one of the highest number of homeless people in the country. We'll be for sure feeding the homeless and giving them some necessities (they LOVE socks!!!), sharing the love and Word of the Lord. Never been there myself, but our youth minister has been many times. We're going thru Mission Lab ( http://www.missionlab.com/ ). Not sure what other area's we'll be serving in. I'm thinking we'll have a construction/repair/clean-up group, and a group that either helps with children or elderly.

We've been doing fundraisers to cover the cost of trip ($300/person) and for the items we'll be giving to the homeless. It'll be my first big mission trip with my boys. We've done more local trips, and they've actaully went out of state on mission trips, but this is the first time we'll be doing a long-distance big mission trip together. We're really looking forward to it too!

My kids & I still need to raise another $100 each. I think all the fundraisers coming up will be local stuff, meal sales, car washes, serving food at local restraunts, etc. We just did a "Wing-A-Thon", where we took pledges and ate hot-wings. Somebody would pledge $.25 to $1.00 per wing, and that was multiplied by the number of wings you could eat in 10 minutes. I had 12, my 12 year old ate 13, and my 14 year old at 23 wings! One of the other boys going got enough pledges & ate enough wings to pay for his whole trip!

If YOU would like to be a part of this mission trip with us, whatever you'd like to give would be appreciated, whether it is to help pay the way for my sons and I or pay for things to give away. Whatever you'd like.

If you want to give, please mail a check made out to "MFBC" and mail it to the address below. Please include a note stating that its for "New Orleans Mission Trip" and what you'd like it to go for. Include your name and address on it and our youth pastor will be sure to get you a donation reciept for your taxes next year.

Marietta First Baptist Church
    Attn.: Brian Spearman
    PO Box 337
    Marietta, SC 29661

Thanks again, Ryan Kelbey

our church website: http://www.mfbc-sc.org/
    Last edited by rc5695; 03-08-2011 at 01:42 PM.
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '06 Yamaha FZ1 & 6 dirtbikes for me & my kids
    '99 BMW 528it
    '06 Chevy Express 3500 (15 passenger)

Gotta love to see Moomba owners giving back. Have a safe and productive trip!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

nice to see..

be careful in the big easy tho. sis just came back and there's parts of that city you don't want to be anywhere near in the evening/night..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Gotta love to see Moomba owners giving back. Have a safe and productive trip!
    Thanks kaneboats!
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '99 BMW 528it

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    nice to see..

be careful in the big easy tho. sis just came back and there's parts of that city you don't want to be anywhere near in the evening/night..
    Yeah, that is one of the main reasons to go through Mission Labs. They have a fenced in residence that is patrolled. And there will always be at least 1 adult with the youth at all times, even the daytime.
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '99 BMW 528it

thank you Mr. Moderator for making this a sticky

Thanks to all you Moomba Members for your repsonse and generosity! As requested by some, I'll be sure to post up pics upon returning.

Sorry it has taken me a couple of days to get back on here, but I've got Jury Duty this week...
    Last edited by rc5695; 03-08-2011 at 01:43 PM.
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '99 BMW 528it

Hello again everyone. Just wanted to give a quick update.

THANK YOU Moomba family for your generosity!!! Because of your giving, my boys and I now have our $300 raised! i cannot thank you enough, along with my relatives, church family, and co-workers.

If you'd still like to give, we could always use money for supplies to take with us when we feed the homeless and do projects.

I did learn last night that we'll get to do a fun activity one evening! A riverboat tour is giving us 25% off each of our tickets, so we'll get a 3 hour boat ride 1 evening with an all-you-can-eat cajun buffet. Yet another thing to look forward to on this great trip!
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '99 BMW 528it

God Bless, thanks for posting!
    Rob Snyder...no not the actor!
    2011 Celestial Blue/Black Accent Moomba Mobius LSV, 340HP

Got a little more info Sunday...

We'll be doing some clean-ups for sure, as well as working with children.

At least 1 night, probably 2, we'll be feeding the homeless. We'll take them carepacks with a sandwich, chips, and water, along with new socks, toothbrush, and travel-size toothpaste. There are officially 49 of us travelling from our church.
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '99 BMW 528it

Our final fund raiser is scheduled. Going to be here before I know it!

Group Motorcycle Ride
    Saturday June 18th
    Rides leave at 9 and 10 am from the church
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=2936+G...d=ie8-activity
    Rides return by 1:30 for BBQ Lunch and Raffle Drawing (tools & gift cards)
    $20 per rider includes lunch & raffle ticket
    All proceeds go directly towards the mission trip
    '00 Moomba Kamberra
    '99 BMW 528it