Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

I've had a few PM's from people asking about the LED's and what all we did, so I figured I would just post my process. Everything is powered by the factory courtesy light wiring, off of that switch, even what we added. For above the cup-holders, the Supras already had a small 3 LED unit above them, I removed this and just replaced with flexible strip. Wired directly in place of the old. Same for rear lockers, behind the driver seat locker, and the rear transom light. The only change to the wiring for the lockers was the ground wire was ran to the switch, and another ground from the switch back to the LED so when closed, the ground was interrupted and they shut off.

The vents have Flexible LED strips inside the, and I coated the entire vent cavity with a reflective material. The Roswell LED's were 5mm single LEDs from the factory, We removed them, un-soldered from the circuit board, and I put the factory ciruit boards on the drill press and drilled out room for 5 SuperFlux LED's and siliconed them in, in the patern of the stock S that is in the lenses. The glovebox, driver cup holder, and rider box in the back are all SF, which is all piggy backed off the existing runs. Some new wire had to be added to get to the locations, but it all ties into the factory setup, and every single wire is loomed and hidden. The LED's are a very slow job. Lastly, all the in-boats have two 3mm LED's behind each grill, and are wired through the mounting lip of the speakers.

Hope this clears some stuff up and will help some other DIY'ers save some coin and learn a little while doing it! I can answer anything that isn't clear, possibly with pics. Ask away!

Here are pics i snapped that first night of the strip LEDs. Each strip is different length depending on its application. We filled above the cupholders with the longest length that would fit.

2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Default LED Kits

Doing a little research and found a custom kit for tow boats. This kit (Wakeboard Boat Extreme Accent Lighting Kit) includes a remote that you can use to turn the intensity down or have it flash.

I'm looking to add this kit to my boat

http://www.mfileds.com/wakeboard-light-kits.html

Clamcakes

I've been getting some PM's about the pin switches we used, here is a direct Link:
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...ource=googleps

If you guys have more questions about some of the stuff we used, post it up here vs a pm if you don't mind so we can share all the info.

Your LEDs and stereo work are awesome - no question!!!

I'm curious about how you mounted some of the LED strips and modules. 2-sided tape? Tiny screws/brackets? Self tapping?

I've done a few LED modules with tiny stainless self tapping screws and nuts/bolts which was a bit of a pain. I'm wondering how the 2-sided tape will hold up if that's the route you went. Thanks.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

It is double-sided tape, stuck to vinyl, aluminum and fiberglass (just about everything). They are from Ozinum. From our research, they had great reviews from the marine industry so we are hoping we don't have any issues. Only time we will tell but I'll def post up if it doesn't work out.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

You should at least try to rub down the vinyl mounting surface with alcohol beforehand. These are oily materials.
    In our experience the adhesives in double-face-tape will breakdown in a marine environment. Its just a matter of time. We hard mount everything. If there is no way but to use the tape you can run a silicon bead completely around the perimeter of the adhesive tape in order to seal it.
    Regardless of the instructions, double-face-tape, 3M or otherwise, will not work under the swim platform or under the water line.

David
    Earmark Marine

Several of our lights are secured with silicone and several are also "hard mounted" where silicone and double sided tape didn't really fit the mounting area. For the moment, we have zero exterior lights or anything under or at the waterline. I'll try to not take the only post you have made in our thread as personal. You managed to contribute nothing positive to any of the threads KG and I had this winter regarding solid info for a DIYer's full system build and also managed to ignore the emails you personally told me to send you regarding some tuning info etc, and only decided to post when it appeared we did something the "non professional" way.

Dusty,
    Easy there fella. I wasn't even thinking of your installation which is very, very nice by the way.
    I was actually referencing the kit that was posted above which had one method of mounting only...double-face-tape. You might look over that kit and see.
    As for your other beef, openly and freely posting on a public forum is completely different than private consultation. You behave like you are entitled to something that you are not. I have given private help to countless members but only up to the point that they're taking advantage. This is purely at my discretion.

David
    Earmark Marine

dumb question...

"Volume controls (eq with microphone and hse): 255"

what benefit does the HSE give you if you already have the EQ? Just an easier way to turn the volume up/down? teach me ... !
    ----
    2007 LSV