Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: K&N Oil filter

thanks jester! exactly what i was looking for!
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

The K&M and the Mobil 1 are the same filter except for the nut on the back both are excellent filters. If you are going to use Mobil 1 oil go with the 15w50. Standard Fram filters are the worst you can use the gold line are better. Wix are OK too.

Quote Originally Posted by sailing217 View Post
    my first dealer put in Amsoil and matching amsoil filter, my 2nd dealer said to use only manufacturer filters till out of warranty as sometimes the engine company can get pissy if warranty work is needed.

Once out of warranty we also like Wix. K/N is good too IMO. I don't like the cheap fram stuff.
    I'm also an Amsoil fan when it comes to their oils and filters. My Dodge diesel, my sportbike, and even my built up race bike motors all used Amsoil products. Haven't looked into their marine applications but I know their filters did filter out more microns of particles than most of the popular brands. It's been a couple years since I've done any research though. But as mentioned, as long as you change your oil/filter regularly, I think you're good to go.

Drew, as long as you oiled the filter gasket you should not have the issues you did last year getting it off.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Also make sure you only hand tighten the filters, some people use the filter wrench to tighten it and this just isn't required. The flow of the oil threw the filter is actually designed to help keep it tight and this is whey they say Hand Tighten Only.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Hand tighten and NEVER more than 1/4 turn if you must put a wrench on it. (I don't) Once that seal crushes in a little she ain't coming off.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Fwiw the proper way is to fill the filter with oil, apply a very light coat of clean oil to the seal, screw it on and bottom the filter out, then another 1/4 turn by hand only! Using a wrench will only increase the chance you can't get it off as well as risk causing the seal to fail.

Years ago when i was a mechanic I trained an apprentice in the above method. For some reason he didn't listen or pay attention. He did a lube and oil on a '68 GTO and after filling, started the car, lifting it up on the hoist (as was procedure) to check for leaks. As he was looking underneath the seal failed and spewed oil all over him, funniest thing I ever saw! After shutting it down and looking at it, the seal was squished out leaving a gap. He admitted using the wrench later, lesson learned.
    2007 Mobius LSV

^^^and allways check the old oil filter gasket to make sure its not stuck on the engine or remote oil filter holder for us V-drive folks. Nothing worse than double gaskets as it will hold for a little while and then will puke all the oil out.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

when i used to work at cadillac i once (though i am not proud of it) forgot to tighten the cartridge filter in a CTS. I filled it with brand new mobil 1 full synthetic and then turn it on, it is amazing how fast that thing will puke out 5 quarts all over the ground.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

that double gasket I spoke of earlier--did that myself on my wifes prelude--not my best hour . I still think of it every time I change the oil and havent done it since
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold