Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: K&N Oil filter

Default K&N Oil filter

I had a heck of a time getting the oil filter off the remote mount last fall, so I'm switching to one of these for the next one.

looks like our boats would use the HP-2002

http://www.knfilters.com/marine/maroilfilter.htm

I recently (in the last year or so) read some independent reviews of oil filters. In case you don't know there is a vast difference in the filtration of the various filter. For years, I have used the Walmart Fram oil filter and I have never had any type of issue. After reading the review of filters, I have changed over to a "better" filter. "Better" in this instance is the highest filtration of particulate and build quality. K&N was rated in the top 3 or 4.

My point here is not to start a debate on what filter you should use or the one that I like best. If you do an internet search for "oil filter review independent", you should find the studies that I read.

IMO, as long as you change your oil and filter regularly (according to the owner's manual), you will likely never have an oil related problem with your engine (car/boat/motorcylce/etc).
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

I tried the HP-2002 for the same reason and discovered it is larger in diameter and a tight fit against the remote filter mount. When it was time for an oil change I had more trouble removing it than a standard filter. If the remote filter mount was turned around, it would make filter change much easier.

I use those on my bike due to the nut on the end welded into the can. makes it much easier to remove in the tight quarters of a bike.
    for the boat/truck, I usually use fram. I do like the orange ones with the grip at the bottom. makes them a little easier to grip and remove.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I like Wix filters myself. I've heard K&N filters are pretty good though.

Quote Originally Posted by VA LSV View Post
    I tried the HP-2002 for the same reason and discovered it is larger in diameter and a tight fit against the remote filter mount. When it was time for an oil change I had more trouble removing it than a standard filter. If the remote filter mount was turned around, it would make filter change much easier.
    DANG! I was willing to spend the extra $$ for the reasons that sandm and maxpower posted (welded nut/easy to remove and ranked pretty good for filtration) but I'm glad you let me know your experience. Guess I'll keep looking and/or using the FRAM Toughguard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I plan on using Mobil 1 oil and a Mobile 1 oil filter on my boat this spring. Any one have an idea what the model # would be for mobil 1 filters?
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

my first dealer put in Amsoil and matching amsoil filter, my 2nd dealer said to use only manufacturer filters till out of warranty as sometimes the engine company can get pissy if warranty work is needed.

Once out of warranty we also like Wix. K/N is good too IMO. I don't like the cheap fram stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    I plan on using Mobil 1 oil and a Mobile 1 oil filter on my boat this spring. Any one have an idea what the model # would be for mobil 1 filters?
    I use a Mobil 1 for my OBV and for some reason have the box sitting on my desk. That makes for a quick lookup. Oil Filter is a M1-111.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Purolator Gold rated very high as well and what i'm trying now. They come with a special non-slip coating on the entire filter to make it easy to remove.
    2007 Mobius LSV