Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Question

Default Buying Question

Hey guys got a question. A dealer told me he would sell me a 2011 Moomba LSV for 45,000 and I could pay for the state tax when I got back to my State. How would I do this?

Don't you just pay the tax when you register / license it in that state.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

You may clearify where you live and where you are planning on buying from.

I purchased in AL and paid the dealer the agreed upon price. Returning to FL, I registered the boat and trailer for tags and hull numbers. At that time, I paid the taxes. It is pretty simple, and here you only need a bill of sales and a MSO (if new) or title (if used).
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

I am currently in the process of buying an out of state boat. No tax charged by the dealer. However, in my situation the lender (BoA) is handling the tax, tag and title with my state. I am just having them deduct this amount from the loan so I will take additional funds to the dealership.

I was surprised they did this but was told since the dealership is not in my state thats how they do business to ensure all necessary fees are paid.
    Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    Don't you just pay the tax when you register / license it in that state.
    Yes.

(Above answer was too short so am repeating here. Yes.)
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

depends on state.
    bought a car in oregeon and live in idaho. oregon has no state tax, so none to collect so I had to pay in idaho when i registered.
    bought last car in cali. cali will not let you take posession of any motorized vehicle within their state without paying cali state taxes. you then get a cert. that states you paid in cali and you don't owe in your state. if you have said motorized vehicle shipped out of cali by a licenses transport company, then no taxes need to be paid.
    if you were to pick up your boat in cali, they would charge. have it delivered, no charge.

probably bet cali is the odd man out here, but the best place to ask is dmv, not interwebs.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

What if you guys move from one state to another, do you have to pay the new state tax when you license the boat ,or just prove it was previously licensed and not a new boat? so you don't have to pay double tax? Or does the boat have to be a certain age/year earlier?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Depends on the state. Some states like FL have an impact tax where you pay more the first time you register and then less for renewals.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Most states require everything to be licensed in that state within a certain period of time. It's a biggee in this state as they bust people with Oregon tags when they reside in Washington. There is no sales tax in Oregon.

You normally don't pay sales tax again but this state will check to make sure you weren't a Washington resident at the time of the original purchase. Those would be fines and they account for a lot more than the sales tax lost.
    Last edited by zabooda; 02-26-2011 at 01:51 AM.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Wow- this sounds way more complicated then it is here (VA, MD, DE, PA). Here your boat needs to be registered where it is principally used - so it doesn't even matter where you live. If you live in VA but use it mostly in MD, then it needs to be registered in MD. If this changes, you are given 60 days to register it in the new area. Doesn't really matter where or when you bought the boat. You also only pay sales tax here the first time you register somewhere- once it is registered you don't have to pay sales tax again.

And how anyone can tell where it is principally used... yeah - they have no idea. Unless you live on the lake, or are out on it every day all year. Given that I trailer the boat, spend time here and there, time at my parents, time on vacation, I mean it's a huge gray area. Trailer is a different story though.

At least this is my understanding.....