Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lanyard Engine Kill?

I guess all Moombas have the lanyard engine kill switch. My previous boat didnt have one. Anyway, I never ware that lanyard (be honest, you don't either) But I keep kicking it with me knee/leg whan Im doing things in the boat, leading to "WTF, the engine stopped?" Basically, anyone hard wired their lanyard to bypass it? I assume it would be easy to do. I think I killed the motor 4 times yesterday, that switch is touchy. The first time I did it, I spent cranking on the boat for 10 min trying to figure out why it wouldnt start.
    08 Outback. Private Lake Owner.

Another failure point and get rid of it unless required by law.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I think you're supposed to cross your legs like a girl when you drive.

Take the lanyard portion off....just leave the clip portion in.

I'll still bump it even with just the clip in. How do I hard wire bypass it? I havent even looked yet.. is it just two wires, cus them and twist together?
    08 Outback. Private Lake Owner.

I had to add one to my LSV due to it being a law in Alabama waterways. When I got inspected at a random stop he wrote me a "Fixit Ticket" and told me I had to have one by the next weekend. Sure enough the following weekend he stopped me again and boarded the boat. He then sat down and told me to start the boat followed by him pulling the lanyard and the boat shut off like it is supposed to. He cleared my ticket and I have not been stopped in the last four years!!!

Yes, you can bypass it by putting the two wires together, I would not recommend it but yes it will work.

If you are stopped and it is non functional and required in your state, you can receive a ticket/warning depending on his mood!!
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

I have been curious about these for a while. My 2001 Outback does not have one, so not all boats have them. I wonder what the criteria is to have one? As far as bypassing it, it can be done. We did it on my dad's offshore boat the other year because the switch malfunctioned and the boat wouldn't start. I can't remember how exactly we did it. Basically cutting the wires can be the trick. You might want to figure out if it is a Normally Open or Normally Closed switch first. Depending on which it is, you would have to either connect the wires together or leave them disconnected.

In most cases the switch is just inline with the "Run" wire of your iginition switch. When I installed mine I cut the run wire and put the switch inline. However I used bullet connectors so if the switch fails I can bypass it. Most of these switches are set to fail open. If you clip breaks or is pulled it opens the igintion wire and the boat shuts down.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

I investigated a boating accident years ago in which a fishing guide took two newly weds out boating one morning at Table Rock Lake. They were cruising to their fishing spot at a decent speed when the boat hit a wave and took a sudden turn to starboard. All of the passengers were ejected.

It never occurred to me until that accident that a boat in that situation would make a perfect circle, returning to the spot where the boat began turning and ejected its passengers. During its subsequent passes through the location where the ejected passengers treaded water, the unmanned boat ran all of them over, ultimately killing two of them and shredding body parts of the third. If you want some motivation for wearing a lanyard, read the widow's post at: http://www.spin-site.org/phyllis.htm

At top speed, my Outback can easily turn hard to starboard. When I go fast, I wear my lanyard.
    2010 Outback

There was an incident posted here last year about a bunch of teens in a boat and it was running and when they jumped in the water the last guy hit the throttle or something causing the boat to spin and run over them and killed a couple of them or one of them..Anyhow..
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]