Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default weight limit of boat

i know there isn't anyone from sc that would suggest its ok to go over the weight limit of the boat but how far over have some of you guys been with full tank of fuel bags filled for either boarding or surfing and a gang of people in the boat. one weekend we were out i tried to honestly figure up all the weight in the boat and was about 200 lbs over the limit. i didn't feel like i was even close to sinkin it or that i lost any control of the boat just took slightly longer to get on plane. but i always hate to turn people down cause it might put me right at of little over the limit. any thoughts on this??
    08 lsv all red- dual battery system, kicker 700.5 and 450.2 amp, 10" kicker sub, wetsounds eq, polk db651 cabin speakers, exile xm7 tower speakers, ss thru hull fittings, seadek pad, evolutions cover

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10664

I've seen the argument on here that water weight doesn't count because it won't sink your boat. It may swamp it but water won't sink it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

My boat says 2350lbs I believe for rating but I've ran 3,000lbs of ballast, 3 adults, and 40 gallons of fuel (plus 3 batteries) with no problem. I have the Acme 1235 prop

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    My boat says 2350lbs I believe for rating but I've ran 3,000lbs of ballast, 3 adults, and 40 gallons of fuel (plus 3 batteries) with no problem. I have the Acme 1235 prop
    what is your ballast set up how big of bags and where if you don't mind me askin?

and how much you run while you board vs surf?
    08 lsv all red- dual battery system, kicker 700.5 and 450.2 amp, 10" kicker sub, wetsounds eq, polk db651 cabin speakers, exile xm7 tower speakers, ss thru hull fittings, seadek pad, evolutions cover

Typically we run about 2000 boarding, 52 gallons of fuel, 8 or so people plus all the gear and dont think twice about it. Didn't have any issues. We have run up to 2700 in ballast as well. Supra's like more weight up front (60/40 split) so we usually don't fill the rears full.

Surfing we would run up to the same weight all on one side, full tank, full boat and not have any issues.

Each boat is going to be different though on what it can take and how it makes it feel.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    In this instance. Rated for 2350lbs, the boat probably came stock with 1980 lbs ballast ... it is tough to think water counts in their calculation.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

i guess i always assumed that ballast counted for the weight limit but sounds like everyone else isn't worried about the ballast putting them well over the limit so this summer i'll see how much she can take. thanks guys

About 2500 lbs of ballast plus the crew & gear. Just have to be careful not to dunk the bow. Gotta have the right prop too...

And the ballast totally counts in the calculation.

2200lbs of ballast plus gear and people. 1433 ACME prop. Agree that ballast has to enter into the calculation.
    2008 Mobius LSV Blue and Black.

popo told me that ballast is part of the total weight..

I run 1100 in the rear corner, 400 on the seat, 400 in the walkway, 400 in the front locker, 40gal fuel, a cooler full of "soda" and if 5 or more plus gear, that's all. if 3 or 4, then another 400 on the floor up against the surfside seat.
    I figure that I'm running almost 4k in weight and peeps most times. I think the placard states 2300 or something like that. rubrail has been pretty deep at times, and as mentioned above, you have to really watch rollers and the bow, but the boat never felt "unsafe". when done surfing, we blow the rear 1100 and the ski locker 400 before going back to the marina or dock, so we are only that loaded when actually surfing.

have been told before that here, if the boat is over 20ft(any competition wakeboat) that the popo won't mess with you unless you have 12+peeps or are endangering the safety of other boaters based on your actions(to include being overweight and creating an unsafe envorionment for others)..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten