Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Our new home

Thanks Mike.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    couple observations from out here.
    shallow pit. must not have a real issue with a deep frost line there.
    lots of pads under the foundation. out here, they would have poured 2 more footings the entire run of the house and framed a small pony wall underneath.

The house we have now has a pony wall between the main house and the hall with the bedrooms. This house doesnt need one because of the way they are installing the load bearing walls. The load walls are across the front wall of the house and the wall that shares the garage. THeres about 2.5 ft of craw space, not big but very typical for this area.

too late now, but putting the house up on a 12" rim would have been $500 well spent down the road when you need to crawl under it. not to mention much happier mechanical subs. and we all know that happy subs do better work I asked about extending the wall up for more room and they said the City of Carlton wont approve it as the house will eighter sit higher then the others or we dig deeper and they want the foundation at a certain depth vs the rest of the under ground items. IDK the City has a lot of restraint on what we do but nothing i can do about that

it is interesting that from looking at the pics, you don't have to use engineered beams for all the floor joists. looks like the majority of them are 2x8/2x10? Ys sir 2x10 and yes i was surprised about the way the floor was build as well but as long as my arse doesn't fall threw it and it doesn't squeak and warp im happy.

when they shoot the sub-floor, make sure they use construction adhesive across the entire floor joist assembly before osb and use either screws or ring-nails. best way to prevent squeaks. Yup ill run that by the site manager because our house right now the living room squeaks.

watch the size of the house grow/shrink as you complete various phases of it. looks tiny when the foundations are poured. subfloor makes it look much bigger, then you get walls up it'll look small again until drywall goes up. Yea it already has done that LOL. Right now the big space actualy looks small to me and the small spaces look big. The garage i keep going and remeasuring it thinking its not 20x27 and then the bedrooms are a bit smaller on this house but they look really big where they sit now lol. My only complaint was all the bedrooms in this builders pre plan are smaller then i want. It costs a ton of money to move outside walls but i was able to move inside walls very cheaply. We got to pic most of the interior layout but the foundation was pretty set in stone unless we paid a huge upgrade fee. So we took the plan that fit the best for this stage in our lives and also looks to be the easiest to resale

houses in the background of the lumber shots on the ground, do they have the same color front gables?
    Couple of them do that street seesm to like that brown or rusty color for there gables. You can choose a few different gable patterns and any color you want to paint them. A lot of people i think wimped out and said i want that house's gable color instead of taking the time to pick paint colors lol. We are leaning towards a medium color scheme much like our boat actually. I want to try and incorporate the Sandrock color if i can with the dark strips or something IDK we will see how it works out. This weekend i go spend 1500 on a washer and dryer, make final selections on cabinets, doors, trim, windows, carpet, counters, fixtures, and concrete type for the drive way. We are going with standard concrete with a broom finish for the main drive but then haveing the agave or something, looks like small rocks as a boarder because this gets realy slippery when wet but looks cool so we are using it as a trim almost.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

if you have it, spend some additional cash on carpet. speaking from experience, builder-grade carpet is crap and most will give you such a small allowance, that's all you will see. 7lb pad is the best. there's an 8lb, but any reputable shop won't recommend it. 5-6 are fha-grade and will break down easy.

don't know what you are having laid in kitchen/bathrooms(tile or lino), but if it's lino and you plan on laying tile later down the road, there's 2 ways to lay lino- cabinets first, then 3/4mdf then lino or 3/4mdf, cabinets on top then lino. ensure your builder does cabinets first, then mdf up to the cabinets. makes ripping the floor out a whole lot easier, and if you do plan on upgrading, don't glue the mdf down. makes a HUGE mess when removing..

the plumbing looked like pex. great product, been here for years. it's way easy to work with from a plumbing standpoint but not real diy friendly as the tools to install the fittings are somewhat expensive. I did have a trim guy shoot a line once tho with a finish nail. took 3 months for the leak to start. homeowners called one morning with a garage full of water. that's the only downside. copper would not have punctured..

it's looking good..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

mmandley - Am enjoying the picture show as your house goes up. Thanks. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Heres the latest updates to the house. Been a couple weeks as ive been busy working, working on the boat, and other things.

Heres me and pup Oso he just thinks he has to be everywhere i am

Rear of the house

Garage side

Front of home
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Living room/ great room side There putting up the outside garage wall with a jacking system and 2x4 pretty impressive to watch them do that. Then the garage door header goes up using the same system.

[COLOR="#696969"]

Still putting the header up.

Now the garage side of the house walls are up

[COLOR="#696969"]

Now we have walls and a roof.
    Black Betty's first time in the driveway and she actually fits and doesn't dwarf my garage.

Front of home

Living rooms side.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Looking down the garage side of the house, this is also where the RV pad will be, the man door is at the 21-24ft mark and then the garage has another 3 1/2 feet after is. The RV pad only goes tot he door right now as they wanted another 600 for 3 more ft and i can just do that myself for about 100 bucks and a 12pack lol.

Inside the house now, man is looks small now =/ but they say drywall makes it look bigger again LOL.

Living room standing in the bay window looking threw the great room, the half wall is the bar. Step up gents colds ones a coming.

[COLOR="#696969"]

Bay window pic

Kitchen looking to the front of the house

Claudia and Oso in the Pantry.

Looking threw the MB closet into the MB

[COLOR="#696969"]