Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Our new home

Default Our new home

I haven't mentioned a couple times me and Claudia have been looking for a new home. Well we got one now. We decided it was best to have a custom built one so we really get the important things we need.

This thread will be the building of the new home. Please feel free to post anything you like on this thread. I will update it each week as new progress is made. Right now we are waiting on building permits and we hope to break ground in 2 to 3 weeks.

The house we picked is a custom. The floor plan is standard to the house although we could have changed it more. We are able to pick everything in the house for finishes and such. We spent our money mostly on the things we cant change later. So in simple terms framing and electrical type upgrades.

The bones of this house are.

apx 1400 sqft. on .17 lot in a 20 home division.
    3bed 2 bath
    2 car garage 20 ft wide and 27ft deep. Fully insulated and finished with custom paint color
    RV pad next to garage
    Central heat and AC
    2x6 construction
    Full fire sprinkler system in ceiling with custom drop down sprinkler heads. < lets hope i never see that in action>
    Stainless appliances.
    Custom features = kitchen island, kitchen bar, bay window in living room, oil stained bronze fixtures, custom wood cabinets, custom doors, custom windows, vaulted ceilings, shelves on upper part of walls where ceiling is vaulted, yard sprinkler system, RV gate, wrap around fence, dog run, and some others im sure im forgetting.

Anyhow heres the first pictures. More to follow as the changes begin.

Oso checking out the new yard to be. This will be the front of the property

Standing on the back corner of the lot.

Side of the lot.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Mike, hope it all goes smooth for ya and congrats. nothing better than getting it done for the way you want it.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Make sure you have a lawyer. Kind of like insurance - yo hope you don't need it, but nice to have when you do.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

congrats..
    I really miss building houses. I truely love taking a bare chunk of ground and creating a house out of that vision. last place I lived in was 2240sqft and was designed/built/dreamed up by me.
    some cities are harder than others, but being a general on a house is amazingly easy..
    really wish the housing market here would not have tanked. I'd much rather be building than working at a desk all day

holla if you have any questions..

don't know about the electrical laws in portland, but here, anything coax/home audio is considered low voltage and not subject to inspection. run wires for whole house audio and a pair in the garage/back patio. even if you don't install now, just leave the wires in the ceiling. you won't be sorry later. hope you're putting in a dedicated data panel, and make sure you run dual coax to each room and 4 to the location on the house for sat. never hurts to be prepared
    Last edited by sandm; 02-22-2011 at 10:00 AM.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    congrats..
    I really miss building houses. I truely love taking a bare chunk of ground and creating a house out of that vision. last place I lived in was 2240sqft and was designed/built/dreamed up by me.
    some cities are harder than others, but being a general on a house is amazingly easy..
    really wish the housing market here would not have tanked. I'd much rather be building than working at a desk all day

holla if you have any questions..

don't know about the electrical laws in portland, but here, anything coax/home audio is considered low voltage and not subject to inspection. run wires for whole house audio and a pair in the garage/back patio. even if you don't install now, just leave the wires in the ceiling. you won't be sorry later. hope you're putting in a dedicated data panel, and make sure you run dual coax to each room and 4 to the location on the house for sat. never hurts to be prepared
    Thanks yea i snuck this in on the builder LOL. In the offer to the house we asked the Builders agent if i can run all my wires after the electrical inspection and before drywall. He said nope. So then i tossed that same wordage into the contract when making the building bid. They never rejected it so its in the contract now LOL.

I was talking with Brain at Exile about all this too. We are going to order some cables and do it on the weekend after the electrical. Its a ways down the road till we are at that point but yea i am planning all that stuff.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Mike, Congrats on the lot and new future home.

I had all the intentions of doing that 6 years ago and totally missed the time frame and the drywalll went up quick
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    2 car garage 20 ft wide and 27ft deep. Fully insulated...
    Hey, Mike - Given that it will be fully insulated and assuming it will be attached to the house, I see the garage as an additional 540 square feet of living space. Nice. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

it will come up quick. usually 3 weeks from foundation to drywall if you have a builder scheduling right

Just be careful. A friend of mine did that and they ripped it all out.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

^110 or 220 I would see. happened to me on 2 houses a few years ago, but low voltage is usually safe. not enough copper to make it worth your while.. you're crazy if you buy any expensive wiring. buy the cheapest 14 or 16gauge you can find for whole house audio. home depot sells some bulk 100 and 250ft rolls that work awesome. heck, some systems are using signals over cat6e, which is tiny. home audio, especially whole house speaker systems are generally running less than 50wpc and are only using 6.5" or 8" 2way speakers so there are not huge musical demands on the stuff.
    install high quality wiring into a house and you are not only begging for it to be stolen, but wasting cash.