Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Our new home

LV wiring here not subject to code issues either. Wired my whole house about 5 years ago when building it. Speaking from experience, put in cat5 and cable to EVERY wall whether you think you need it or not. It's cheap and easy at the framed stage and you'll need it some day. Trust Me! I put in more than I thought I'd need and still wish I'd a run some extra to other walls now. DO IT!

OH Yeah - and wired my theatre room for 7.1 in-wall and in-ceiling speakers and will do it in every house from here on out.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Very nice Mike. Congrats and best of luck with the build!

I'll offer a suggestion: show up in the morning with coffee & donuts or McD's and/or in the evenings with a 6 pack for the framers. Yes, all their work gets covered up, but if they don't put walls up straight the rest of the work looks like crap and there is little guys can or will do to make it right,

All good stuff from experience. Couple things on the RV pad, I'm not sure if you plan to actually use it for an RV but if you do I recommend:
    1. Having 20 amp service to power the AC especially if you plan to use it for guests. It is still handy for a boat (i.e. heater).
    2. Having a sewer pipe stubbed out as it is much easier to dump waste when you get home from a boating trip then to sit in line at a dump station and then fork out bucks. I found my cleanout pipe last year and what a time saver.

For communications, run smurf tubing and just use a mud plate in each room. You will have enough room to run a bunch of any low voltage stuff. Who knows, everything is getting more wireless all the time.

I'm remodeling my kitchen and found out to stay away from induction cooktops unless you have the top of line ferrous cookware. My magnet didn't recognize any of my pots and pans and the cooktops heat the pans not the cooking surface. I am going to a gas cooktop because my fine, fine cookware would probably scratch a ceramic top over time.

Also, get your refrigerator opening big and deep enough to handle the bigger refrigerator. I had to go with a countertop depth model since the opening is next to the dining room entrance and would stick out and in the way.

Enjoy watching the home getting built and check often to see how things are getting built and for design issues that you may want changed which are cheaper at that time to change then to realize it later.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    I am going to a gas cooktop because my fine, fine cookware would probably scratch a ceramic top over time.

Also, get your refrigerator opening big and deep enough to handle the bigger refrigerator. I had to go with a countertop depth model since the opening is next to the dining room entrance and would stick out and in the way.

Enjoy watching the home getting built and check often to see how things are getting built and for design issues that you may want changed which are cheaper at that time to change then to realize it later.

gas is the shiot. only way to go, but spend a grand or so on a decent gas range. cheaper ones don't cook near as well.
    I've had counter depth in the last 2 houses. they are nice, but expensive. you can get a much nicer fridge for less coin in standard..

great advice to check EVERY DAY. speaking from experience, you never know what you will get if you don't. during framing, gives you a great opportunity to find places to do custom work. if you have a flat ceiling in the bedroom or office, build out a 2x4 dropped ceiling 1.5ft out around the perimeter for a tray ceiling. look for small things like that. builder might and might not charge extra, but if he's not there, amazing what pizza for the framing crew will get you
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Great idea on all the points guys thanks. I will do the donuts thing for the workers. Im sure if nothing else it will allow me to look more closely at things LOL.

As for Gas cooking it is the shiot. We have gas in the house we are in and love it. unfortunately the town we moved to has No Natural gas at all. We have to go Electric and that sucks. I was ready to have a gas line plumbed to my back yard for the grill too LOL.

For the RV Pad its actually going to be for the boat to sit in the summer but i do have in the plans for an AC outlet out there to power the charger and anything else i need. I also have them plumbing a water spicket to the pad. I hadnt thought about the sewer drain. I wont need one now but its a nice fore thought. Ill look into that for sure.

As for the >build out a 2x4 dropped ceiling 1.5ft out around the perimeter for a tray ceiling< we have 2 of them already designed in. One in the living room and 1 in the master bedroom =) plus i had them add an electrical outlet on both so we have power for lighting or what ever.

Keep the ideas coming this is all helping.

I especially like the idea of the conduit to each room, this will make it a lot easier to fish wires for what we need to each room and not have to hassle with pre-wire at the build stage. Might be a little easier for my builder to swallow as well since that shouldn't effect anything with framing.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

maybe one day, someway somehow i can too own a house!
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I believe the experts are saying that now is a excellent time to buy with home prices low and interest rates low. If inflation gets going you can expect much higher prices on everything including interest rates.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Cool

As a plumber/gas fitter i'd suggest you still add the gas RI's to the gas stove and or gas fireplace,maybe a garage heater, as maybe someday down the road you will get gas then you are covered. Are you running propane for heat? you can change the orifices in gas stoves to go propane if this is the case.
    Also as a plumber ,yah i suggest you get all plumbing and water RI's done at the time of initial RI. Basement bath,RV sewer ,HB's waterlines to fridges .watersoftner etc is a lot easier to do at the start as opposed to doing later. Yes a little more money now but worth it in the future.
    As for a water heater,our standards have to be all High efficient waterheaters which in watertanks are nothing but trouble as most are poorly designed,You maybe should look into a Demand type water heater or better yet GET a Boiler and also slab heat basement and garage for Comfort or go all out and Slab heat the entire house. Definetely the way to go but cost can be up there.
    07 Outback DD

low prices and interest rates do you no good when you dont have any money!
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    low prices and interest rates do you no good when you dont have any money!
    True true but you also have to think about most loans are No Money down or only 3.5% down if you have good credit.

You can buy a 150K home and pay less then 1K a month with insurance and taxes included. If you even think you might be able to afford a home its always worth going and talking to the bank or a finance company.

Theres a lot of options and what this country needs is the people who can afford to buy to buy thats the only way the houseing market will return.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]