Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Our new home

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    one word for the garage lighting. flourescent and several of them. if it's a 3car, 6 at a minimum. wired the last house with 2 that came on with the switch next to the mandoor and inside door, then had the other 5 on a switch next to the workbench.

keep in mind that based on your electrical background, some of this can be added later. it adds up quickly if you keep adding switches/outlets when you can go back and add ceiling units later for 1/5 the cash.
    Yes exactly and i rewired my garage myself after we striped it out and the new one has a craw space in it i just have to make sure they leave me a couple circuit breakers in the panel LOL. I only plan on letting them add a 220 in the garage in case i ever use big boy power tools lol.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Maybe run a gas line to the garage for future heater use? Switched outlets above and below the kitchen cabinets for over/under lighting. Ditto on the fluorescent garage lighting. You can never have too many outlets in the garage.

since most circ panels go on exterior walls, smurftube is a good idea.

Ive learned over the years that coax is where to go nuts as I don't see cable/sat going by the wayside for wifi for a long time, but cat6, a single run per room is plenty. most computer gear is wireless anymore. if you plan on installing sat, run 4 lines from sat location to data panel and dual runs to each room.
    funny how most of this thread talks about electrical. some other must haves:
    elongated toilets. never standard again for me
    granite in kitchen.
    did 2headed shower in last house with dual valves, one was a rain head. never again. didn't use it.
    ask heatman about upgraded t-stat with 7day timer if you don't have one. def. worth the cash.
    lots of places to go nuts on trim, like using rb4/5 on the parts of doors you see from living spaces, but using rb3 on the backsides where no one will know.
    wire dual switches for any room with ceiling fan/light kit. eliminates pull chains and the stupid remotes that come with fans. if not, have electrician run 3wire for bedroom lights to allow you to add down the road.

watch when they pour the driveway. I used to do it last, otherwise contractors will park on it/drive on it and you don't get the honor of putting the first stain on it
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Mmandely,
    I'd have a sewer water and electrical service put to your RV pad. Huge selling point.
    And if you ever want to get an RV your set.
    Doesn't cost all that much, trust me some day you will wish you did.

PWI as usual...

Quote Originally Posted by newty View Post
    Mmandely,
    I'd have a sewer water and electrical service put to your RV pad. Huge selling point.
    And if you ever want to get an RV your set.
    Doesn't cost all that much, trust me some day you will wish you did.
    That's a freaking fantastic idea

Yup, then your wife's brother can come visit for Christmas.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Congrats Mike on your soon to be new digs!

We did this 20 years ago and from our perspective we'll never do it again, drove us crazy! We wanted pretty much the same as we had big plans so a large lot was needed. Electrical pre-wired everywhere, alarm system, blah, blah. Had to fight the builder, subs, electrician, inspector, builder again, subs more, landscaper, city, builder more. You get it. I seriously hope your experience is better than mine was!

The only real advice i can give is to watch everything the best you can and make sure everything is documented and all parties are informed! I made full videos of each stage of construction and i'm glad i did!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    I made full videos of each stage of construction and i'm glad i did!
    This is awesome advice! I did the same and have found myself reviewing the tapes (yes, I said tapes. We built the house 12 yrs ago) before I do any projects where I'm cutting into walls, etc. I've saved myself from destroying plumbing & electrical.

Update: got the plans approved by the city and we break ground Monday and the foundation should be done sometime next week
    [COLOR="#696969"]

If you want to follow this still and are interested in watching it be built threw my families eyes then you can contact me in PM, Email or on Facebook

email is

[email protected]

look me up in facebook.

Michael Mandley

peace out im done here.
    [COLOR="#696969"]