Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Replacing Kenwood speakers in 2007 OBV

Last summer I damaged the stock Kenwood - KFC-1680ie 6.5" speakers in our 2007 OBV. We brought on a bit too much water over the bow and blew out all three of the speakers in the row.

I have been looking for a replacement that would fit and perhaps have a bit more power. I just bought two sets of the KICKER KM6200 6" 2-way KM Series Marine Speakers . Before buying the third and final pair of Kickers, I tried installing one of them today only to find out that they appear to be too big?

Not only is the magnet on the Kickers MUCH larger, but once I was able to pull back the cushion to get the speaker in the OEM spot, I couldn't easily get the speaker cover /mount on without lots of force. I looked at the speakers in the cabin area (most forward speaker in the cabin) and noticed that it would be even more difficult to mount.

Has anyone else had this issue when replacing the stock speakers? Any suggestions as to how I may fit the Kickers? or Perhaps other models that are confirmed to fit? Pictures?

Thanks everyone!

J

Polk db51 are great repalcements, lots on her have done them including myself. With your new kickers you may have to create a spacer ring to make them fit.

search polk db651 and you will find lots of pics under the audio section.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check em out.

Granted I have a different boat then yours but I had the same problem with getting replacement speakers to fit. I tried Kicker, Infinity and Rockford Fosgate. Each had a reason why they would not fit, either mounting depth, magnet size, or grill. I tried the Exile SX65s thinking I was going to have the same problem, but I was wrong. They fit perfectly.

Not the best pic but....
    Nate

The price difference between the Polks and the Exiles are night and day as well with sound.

6 Polks in the boat might cost you 150

6 Exiles will run you closer to 450

The reason Exiles fit so well is the speaker basket is very simular to the Polks. Last year when my boat was in the show they checked the Polks in my boat out and wanted to see what was so special about them and how they fit.

The used a lot of the same depth and bolt pattern as the Polks so they would be direct replacements.

Polks really are awesome speakers and probably the best for the buck as even the engineer at Exile was very impressed with the quality of the Polk vs the price point they are at. Mass production sure helps to lower the prices of things.

Lastly for the Exile SX to sounds like they should they need a lot of power. Easily handling 100 RMS watts is ideal for them.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default "a substantial upgrade"

Were you happy with what they call "a substantial upgrade" to the stock speakers? $450 is a big step from $150 for the Pile models. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by thesack View Post
    Granted I have a different boat then yours but I had the same problem with getting replacement speakers to fit. I tried Kicker, Infinity and Rockford Fosgate. Each had a reason why they would not fit, either mounting depth, magnet size, or grill. I tried the Exile SX65s thinking I was going to have the same problem, but I was wrong. They fit perfectly.

Not the best pic but....

jmeacham,
    I'm curious as to what actually took out those speakers. Was it water damage to the speaker or the electronics getting wet and delivering a damaging signal?
    There are several marine speakers that have sealed midbass cones that will not allow water to enter into the voice coil gap around the tweeter mounting post. These include but are not limited to Polk Audio UltraMarine series, JL Audio MX, WetSounds and Kicker. It can be a fit problem for some of these that have encased magnets because the cover shroud does make them deeper. And, some of the cast composite frames will have a slightly oversized basket. Some will have a thicker grill perimeter than others too.
    Kicker does have a lower model of marine speaker that is used as original equipment by Moomba. Plus, WetSounds has a lower priced model with a smaller motor structure. Both of these are completely sealed and truly marinized speakers.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by jmeacham View Post
    Were you happy with what they call "a substantial upgrade" to the stock speakers? $450 is a big step from $150 for the Pile models. Thanks!
    Yes there's a tun of differences in the sound.

Go from the factory Kicker to Polks and its night and day, the overall sounds is completely different. Highs are cleaner and smoother mids are richer and you can flat out crank them a lot more.

Same is true when you have a Polk and upgrade to Exile just more of the same nice crisp highs and silky smooth sounding mids and they crank.

Its no different then when you go up in cars and trucks.

Take a Ford Ranger sure its a nice little truck. Pulls light load well and has some nice options but its still a small truck.

Upgrade 10G and get a nice F150 same thing its a nice full size truck with a lot of nice options and you can tow a lot more things and theres a lot more roon inside.

Now upgrade for another 20G and get into an F350. You can tow almost anything you can imagine and the cab is flat out huge.

Its all relative to the amount of money you spend on the products.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

mike, i like you truck camparison. hopefully i can get out of my ranger this summer and into an f150
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

haha well it wasn't personal or directed at anyone particular i had the F150 before my 350 so i was going off the trucks i know LOL.

I know the Ranger can tow the boat but its working hard to do it.
    [COLOR="#696969"]