Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Two or four speakers?
    Obviously four will be louder. But that might also mean that four can be played more conservatively to attain the same volume and they will be performing with a little less stress and distortion. When coupling more speakers, like two pair versus one pair, the speakers always seem to sum for a little warmer balance. Also, with the rotating collars, you can spread the dispersion for a wider field versus a narrow and beaming effect. Horizontal speaker arrays tend to have really bad off-axis cancellations at the upper frequencies. Fanning them out just a bit can help offset that effect.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    well good. im sure my neighbors are going to love me testing the sound in the driveway
    yep, feel sorry for the one next to us as theve been good

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    I am dying to piss off the neighbors. It's been their turn for so long.
    now the ones behind us is a different story and i think there your neighbors relatives

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    OH YEA, that I can attest too! Especially my hispanic neighbors while i'm cranking some AC/DC or such

Thinking about a little Guns n Roses or Crue myself
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Hey guys – It’s been fun to see everyone’s take on this question. I think it really comes down to a couple of simple things…

Will 4 be better than two? Yes absolutely.. assuming you have the amplifier to power them properly.

How hard do you want to run your system? Running 4 pods versus 2 will allow you to tame the volume control and still have great dynamic range. This is really a grey area because, yes, you could crank the V all day long, but operating your stereo well within your limits has countless benefits.

Does 4 fill up your tower better? Of course.. Lets face it, all of these tow boats, no matter which brand has some flash to it compared to the other vessels on the water. 4 is a show off factor. I do preach to guys that before running 4 pods, make sure you have some kind of cabin speaker upgrade (amplified atleast) and some kind of subwoofer in place so the tower setup doesn’t dominate the whole damn stereo.

4/2 budget? Ultimately you gotta be your own judge for that one.

To me the biggest reason for the spinning mount / quick disco clamps is if it is important to you to be able to easily put sound on any target and easily be able to remove them at the end of the day to aid in the tower drop, or transportation (i.e. get them away from bugs), or protect against theft. If these things are important to you, there is no better clamping system on the market. Frankly speaking that’s why its patented. But it comes at a cost. If its not important stuff.... save the money.

@RD – your post cracked me up. Dude your getting ready to really hit the fast lane stereo wise. As A side note, If by some chance you want to goto the XM7 then you let me know…but first, get that monster stereo of yours fully operational and have a good listen. I think you’ll be shocked at how good its going to sound.

@ED – weight on the shipping containers should be 21.6 lbs and speakers themselves are 6.8 lbs each. As it applies to the OBV 1.5/8 diameter, putting 4 on it should be fine. But I do think that’s the upper limit weight wise.

@CAB – I appreciate you chiming in on this. You one of very few people I know that actually took the time to really listen to both setups on the water. Guys ask me all the time, whats the difference - at the end of the rope. What I try to let people know is that main difference is in the articulation of the upper frequencies. Bottom line, the HLCD horn projects (XM7). The 1” Titanium Tweeter (SXT65) projects less, but sounds 10x better for people in the boat. Pure and simple, there are trade offs. PS: this is the YEAR I'll make some time to get out on your boat with ya.. I really want my daughter to get hooked. she needs to see your daughter in action. brrr its still cold out there.

@JET – I just saw your followup post. If you want to go fixed mount, I’ll get you some covers. No worries.

@MoombaDaze – operate that volume control responsibly. Remember Karma lurks out there and one day when you’re a geezer, some punk kid will be sitting out side your window blasting some techno funk that sounds like ass. Haha! (something tells me this comment fell on deaf ears? Eh you say?)

All great comments guys. I know a lot of you are busy with upgrades. Will be fun to see the pics.

Cheers,

Brian
    Exile Audio

I'll bet on the latter. So where's the other 101 hats and shirts?
    Last edited by Razzman; 02-13-2011 at 07:02 PM.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Brian, I hear ya loud and clear, the ears are still workin just fine, well for now they are....
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    Brian, I hear ya loud and clear, the ears are still workin just fine, well for now they are....
    you see i already have hearing damage in my left ear so i need a loud stereo so i can fully enjoy the tunes
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    ya know last year Kicker Phil sent us Clermont prop testing guys a box of some awesome Kicker T-shirts and hats.
    That was pretty cool of Kicker to sponsor our prop testing weekend last year. Wise Chips too.

Unfortunately, we were so busy swapping props, launching and loading boats, recording data, etc. we didn't get many pics. Here's one though:

My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

well since you organized that event does that make you lead dork?

proud member of the dorkateers-btw pwi
    Last edited by moombadaze; 02-18-2011 at 09:39 PM.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold

it is a elite group at that
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold

You know our motto: "One for all and all for wings n yeungs!"
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!