Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default tower speaker suggestions

seeking help from the audio gods on this forum on what tower speaker upgrade i should do.

i have a little money to burn & i want to here music while wakeboarding. i've had my eyes on the KM6500.2 HLCD set up, but they are expensive; plus i have four speaker cans to fill which is double the cost. i personally don't see the need for more than two HLCD's.

i'm hoping to keep this upgrade around $500.00 (speakers only & no new cans).

are there any 6 1/2" speakers i can buy that i would be able to hear 60-75ft behind the boat other than HLCD's?

here is my current set up:
    head unit KMR-44U
    remote KCA-RC107MR
    amp #1 ZXM700.5
    sub KM10 (powered by amp #1, ported box)
    twr speakers 4-db651 6 1/2" (powered by amp #1)
    twr cans 2-Aerial Twin Bullets (four cans)
    amp #2 ZX200.4
    cabin speakers 6-KM613 (powered by amp#2) came stock with boat
    '08 OBV-gravity III with two 550 lb & one 400 lb, 3 pair of Kicker KM613 cabin speakers, Kicker KM10 sub, one set KM6500.2 HLCD tower speakers, Kicker ZXM700.5 amp, Kicker ZX450.2 & Kenwood KMR-440U head unit

I just went through this. I don't have my Exiles yet but those who do will be sure to pipe in. Be sure to listen to them. Good luck!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=13769

not sure how much the hollow points are but they sound damn good...

never mind didnt notice they were bigger than a 6.5..
    Last edited by lsvboombox; 02-11-2011 at 04:20 PM.

The Kicker KM6500.2 sounds like exactly what you are looking for. One "pair" requires 4 cans so no need to multiply the price x2.

Check these bullet 650's out. I'm sure you would be able to hear them from wakeboarding distance. The only the would be is whether or not they would fit in your current cans. The bottom link is a video of my tower setup, it's one pair of bullet 770's.

http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart...0&cat=0&page=1

-2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by flex View Post
    seeking help from the audio gods on this forum on what tower speaker upgrade i should do.

i have a little money to burn & i want to here music while wakeboarding. i've had my eyes on the KM6500.2 HLCD set up, but they are expensive; plus i have four speaker cans to fill which is double the cost. i personally don't see the need for more than two HLCD's.

i'm hoping to keep this upgrade around $500.00 (speakers only & no new cans).

are there any 6 1/2" speakers i can buy that i would be able to hear 60-75ft behind the boat other than HLCD's?

here is my current set up:
    head unit KMR-44U
    remote KCA-RC107MR
    amp #1 ZXM700.5
    sub KM10 (powered by amp #1, ported box)
    twr speakers 4-db651 6 1/2" (powered by amp #1)
    twr cans 2-Aerial Twin Bullets (four cans)
    amp #2 ZX200.4
    cabin speakers 6-KM613 (powered by amp#2) came stock with boat
    Flex-

Brain Rinse is right. You have 4 cans already, and that is perfect for the KM6500.2 HLCD system. Use the four full range channels of your ZXM700.5 in bridge mode and you will have 165 watts to each half of the tower system. You could use more power if you wanted but 165 will push them pretty good. Your budget seems right on the money too.

Phil
    Kicker

Hey phil you have any videos or anything of the new hlcd's i've been dying to see what they sound like.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    The Kicker KM6500.2 sounds like exactly what you are looking for. One "pair" requires 4 cans so no need to multiply the price x2.
    this is why i ask the gods, because i don't much about the audio world. i didn't realize the horns required an enclosure.

Prec8 the quick response!!!! going to order this set up.
    '08 OBV-gravity III with two 550 lb & one 400 lb, 3 pair of Kicker KM613 cabin speakers, Kicker KM10 sub, one set KM6500.2 HLCD tower speakers, Kicker ZXM700.5 amp, Kicker ZX450.2 & Kenwood KMR-440U head unit

flex,
    If you are looking for a single pair of tower speakers and you want to reach wakeboarding range then they really have to be HLCDs.
    Since you have already mentioned the Kickers I'll stick with that.
    The street price for a pair of Kicker HLCDs loaded into domestically powdercoated spun aluminum pods (stay clear of raw polished) with collars is around $800. That's competitive with anything. You'll have a real challenge finding a better sounding 6.5" HLCD.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by bzubke1 View Post
    Hey phil you have any videos or anything of the new hlcd's i've been dying to see what they sound like.

bzubke1-

Sorry man, I don't.

There are a few problems I perceive with videos and trying to decide how something sounds from one... The main problem can come from the camcorder... We do not know the circumstances of the video, the equipment being used, and what measures are being taken to ensure that the camcorder is not influencing the audio recording. Here is why:

Unless you are using pro recording gear, video recorders have an auto-gain ranging function that adjusts the microphone sensitivity to the sound being recorded. For very loud sounds, they automatically turn down. For very quiet sounds they automatically turn up. They do this in an attempt to provide a relatively even audio program to go along with the video being shot. Consumer grade video recorders, AKA camcorders are all about the pitcure, not the sound.... They also assume that a certain lack of audio quality is acceptable... To have sound is sufficient, without regards to the quality of the sound. The microphone(s) work, but thet is about it. They are by no means reference devices...

Say someone wants to replicate the common tower speaker video scenario with a consumer quality camcorder. When recording starts, the auto-gain function will be reducing volume since the speakers are cranked up, and the speakers will sound "X" level at the beginning up close in the video. Then as the boat goes away, the sound gets quieter in real life, but the recorder, in its attempt to keep all the sound at the same level, will start turning the volume up on the recording to keep it at "X" level. In this scenario, with a camcorder that is automatically adjusting the sound level, the boat can be a quarter mile away, and assuming there are no other nearer or louder sounds, the camcorder will still be trying to pick up the sound of the speakers to record it at the same level, with the auto-gain turned all the way up.

Now with all that being said, understand, I do not attempt to discredit anyone's video of their tower speakers. I have no idea how they were made, what equipment was used, if there was a separate audio recorder or what... I have to believe that there are good examples of videos out there, posted by people who took the audio part of the equation into account. I just don't know, so until I have informatin that speaks to the validity of the demonstartion, I tend to take them with a grain of salt.... Before taking a video as proof of performance, take the time to find out how the video was made, to make sure that pains were taken to accurately portreay the audio portion

Phil
    Kicker
    Last edited by philwsailz; 02-11-2011 at 05:12 PM.