Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help me get the right amp.

I am going to order 6 polk db651 to replace my kickers in my obv 08. I have the stock amp, but I think I need to purchase a better amp. I am doing my audio system in stages. Replace boat speakers, add sub, add tower speakers. I figure each stage will require another amp.
    Thanks for the help.
    2008 Outback V Black & White

I'm curious about this too. It seems most people use a 4 channel amp for the six inboat speakers but why not use a 6 channel amp like the jl audio g6600.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

There is no reason not to use the JL Audio 6channel amp. As a matter a fact Al Cab has been using one and pretty much swears by it. I cant recall if he has replaced it yet with a 4 channel but i doubt it even though im pushing him too LOL.

The main reason why i don't like the 6 channel amps is Power output.

You really dont need the Bow speakers to be as loud as the cabins. Also this amp is pretty big and takes a lot of room in a room limited environment.

You are also limited to 75 watts of power at 4 ohms.

You can get a lot more powerful 4 channels for the same price and run the bow speakers off 4ohms and then piggy back the cabins as 2 ohms and get a lot more power out of the amp.

Ultimately its up to you as the owner but that's why i prefer the 4channels over 6.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

That makes complete sense, I have noticed the six channels were pricey for not that much output per channel. What amp do you have powering your 6 exiles the 800.4?
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Yea i got the 800.4 on it and have the gain turned down a bit on the bow speakers as 200 is a ton of power. The rear cabins though sound amazing and they really crank
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Just me but I would change the order-- get the sub first. The Kicker ones aren't that bad if you run them hi pass and add the sub. They will be more efficient and sound pretty good. You will need a new amp or at least a sub amp. I run a 5 channel Infinity amp. I'd get some other opinions about this.

This assumes you have the same Kicker ones I do. They look like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-KM620-6-M...item4cf4efd796

I keep hoping Phil will kick in his .02 on these as these speakers get hammered on here all the time. Or does his silence on this speak volumes?

Here's one installer's take on these:

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=81735
    Last edited by kaneboats; 02-08-2011 at 11:23 PM.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bzubke1 View Post
    I'm curious about this too. It seems most people use a 4 channel amp for the six inboat speakers but why not use a 6 channel amp like the jl audio g6600.
    I have the jl m6600 and run the bows off channel 1,2. Cabins 3,4 series wired, sub bridged 5,6. Works great and sound is clean. Some like more sub power and get a separate sub amp and run individual wires to the cabins for all 6 separate channels. Al did that in his setup... You can run a 4 channel no problem as long as it's power matched.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Yea i got the 800.4 on it and have the gain turned down a bit on the bow speakers as 200 is a ton of power. The rear cabins though sound amazing and they really crank
    So with your set up you have the 2 bow speakers running of two channels, and the 4 cabin speakers running off the other two channels.

The bow speakers are getting 200watts at 4ohms?
    The cabin speakers are getting 100 watts a piece at 2 ohms?

Is this right?
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Just me but I would change the order-- get the sub first. The Kicker ones aren't that bad if you run them hi pass and add the sub. They will be more efficient and sound pretty good.
    That would be my approach too.

I would go sub first too I still have the kickers they sound good to me.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV