Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I think it's the aesthetics on the Kickers that get them yanked more often than not. But they are a good marine speaker when you have them set up right. Especially with a sub in the mix.

I agree thats what has me wanting to replace them more than anything else.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by bzubke1 View Post
    So with your set up you have the 2 bow speakers running of two channels, and the 4 cabin speakers running off the other two channels.

The bow speakers are getting 200watts at 4ohms?
    The cabin speakers are getting 100 watts a piece at 2 ohms?

Is this right?
    Its hard to read the wattage of the channels but its more like this.

Into 4 ohm Stereo 125 x 2 bow speakers
    Into 2 ohm Stereo 200 x 4 cabins

So each bow speaker sees 125 watts
    Each cabin sees 200 watts. per side. 100 watts per speaker
    So in theory the bow sees more power but trust me the cabins at 2 ohms are way louder then the bow speakers.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Aesthetics? They aren't going to win any beauty contests but they aren't that bad! You could pull the covers off and paint them black or gunmetal or something I guess. Then again, if you look at the new price of these, even on ebay, you could probably put Polks in and just about get your money back.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Some of the best in-boat systems I have heard used the JL Audio XD600/6 amplifier to drive six coaxials. It delivers 75 watts to each of six speakers. Its highly efficient at over 80 percent. Efficiency drops at 2-ohms and this is 4-ohms all around so its around double the efficiency of a conventional amplifier running at 2-ohms. Do not under estimate the benefits of efficiency, especially in an unregulated type amplifer.
    The dynamic range is higher at 4-ohms versus 2-ohms also. Not the continuous power but the dynamic reserves as a ratio of the continuous power. Think contrast and clarity.
    When you take a 150 watt times four at 2-ohms (in a 4-channel amplifier) you are splitting two channels into four speakers. This delivers the same 75 watts per speaker. The two channels at 4-ohms for the bow speakers would then typically come in at around 100 watts per channel. Most will gain these symmetrically with the cockpit speakers. So you end up with 75 watts per every speaker.
    The net power and distribution ends up the same but the six channel amplifier is run more conservatively with more headroom, lower distortion and higher efficiency before considering the increased efficiency due to the Class D.
    As an alternative lets take a WetSounds Syn4 from the G/H topology family. Its highly efficient and is just on the heels of Class D. Its a four channel amplifier with 800 watts of continuous power into 2-ohms. Once balanced among all six speakers we will net a total of 600 watts versus the JL Audio XD600/6 at 450 watts in this application. The 33 percent increase in power will net us exactly 1 dB increase which is the smallest discernable difference you can percieve. We lose a bit of headroom that is offset by a moderate increase in continuous power. We lose a bit of efficiency because we are running two channels at 2-ohms. All and all I would say that we have comparible performance even though one is rated at 800 watts and the other is rated at 600 watts. While the WetSounds is priced at about $100 dollars more and definitely would have a distinct advantage in some applications it has no real or discernable advantage in this particular application.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    There is no reason not to use the JL Audio 6channel amp. As a matter a fact Al Cab has been using one and pretty much swears by it. I cant recall if he has replaced it yet with a 4 channel but i doubt it even though im pushing him too LOL.

The main reason why i don't like the 6 channel amps is Power output.
    Yes Mike, I am still running the JL M6600 to power the 6 db651 in boats. They are the only things left that are not Exile. LOL! The polks can only handle 60w rms so the 75w rms delivered by the JL is a good match. I am very pleased with the sound quality and volume of this set up especially run at high pass and in conjunction with the Exile sub.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I went back and forth between the JL 6 channel and the JL G4500. I ended up with the G4500 due to there being very little RMS difference and the $100 price difference. Plus space was becoming tight on the amp rack.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

there seems to be alot of talk about running the cabin speakers on "hipass" or whatever, is this something that is adjusted on the amp itself or does this require something to go inline with the speaker wires to filter out certain frequencies?
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Setting is right on the amp.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

so this should be set for the tower speakers as well as the cabin speakers and let the sub take care of all things low in sound correct?
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD