Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2010 (20') Outback V -vs- Mobius LSV?

We currently have a 2000 year Moomba Kanga, and have had many problems with the Carb'ed Indmar 350.

Although I'm a slalom skier, I now do about 60% wakeboard, 40% slalom (getting older an wakeboarding is much easier on the body, heheh).

We're trying to decide between the Outback V (plus performance back w/1200 lbs ballast) & Mobisu LSV. The only real difference I see, being the hull, where the Mobius has a sharper bow and 1' longer.

However ... In real-world terms of performance...

Does anyone have any objective information comparing the newer 20' Outback V hull (2010 & later?) versus the Mobius LSV -- for its wake qualities, both at wakeboarding & slalom speeds/wakeplate configurations?

Or, in simpler terms, if I'm going 22mph on an Outback V with 1200lbs ballast and wakeplate down, versus the same configuration in the Mobius LSV ... is there a significant difference in wake. On a similar note .. if I'm going 35mph on a Outback V with zero ballast and wakeplate up -- versus LSV ... is the difference significant there?

Thank you in advance!
    -RKM
    Last edited by Rusten; 01-29-2011 at 10:24 AM.

This is sure to strike up some interesting conversation and revive the "can you really ski seriously behind a v drive" debate. I don't have experience with the newer OBV or LSV so I don't have any useful input there. I will say, however, that personally I've never found wakeboarding to be easier on my body than skiing- I've never had a concussion from skiing but I've taken a few tumbles on a wakeboard that have rung my freaking bell- to the point where I now wear a helmet. But then again that's like anything I've been skiing for a lot longer than I've been wakeboarding so it has to do with my lack of wakeboarding technique.

If I want to do something easy on my body I'll surf.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

@skiyaker-
    That's awesome. I too have had some pretty bad falls wakeboarding. Blown out my eardrum twice, once it was one day before an important meeting and I wound up with balance problems (equilbreium issues resulted), to the point where they thought I was on something!

Despite that, I was referring to the sheer strength it takes to ski the course. They both require strength in different ways, but very few sports require the sheer exertion of tournament skiing.

Going back on-topic ... There are 2 or 3 past debates on this; however, they took place prior to the re-design on the Outback V hull in the new 20' formfactor.

I have no idea whether the new 20' Outback Hull is better or worse than the original Outback, where the wake is concerned. Or whether it's better/worse for slalom. Or while I'm on the subject ... how the new 20' w/1200 lbs compares to the LSV (known for having a larger wake), and whether the LSV has undergone a hull change recently.

In short .. I'm really concerned with the the current version of the hull, which is the reason the old discussions don't apply as much. Hope that clarifies it a bit

I'm no skier but a few in the family are and after an attempt or two behind my LSV they gave up and moved to another of the boats in the group. The LSV is a wakeboat primarily first and even with the wakeplate and distribution optimal it still doesn't clean up enough for clean skiing, slalom would hurt IMO.
    2007 Mobius LSV

That's great info, thank you.

The funny thing, if you look at the hull side-cut for the new Outback V which is being marketed as a crossover ... it's basically identical to the LSV, minus that 18". Now 18" in *length* shouldn't make that big of a difference in slalom wake at 32+ mph. So based on your reply, I'm worried about both options.

Do you happen to know whether the 2010 LSV shares the same hull with your 2007?

06-11 LSV share the same hull. Go visit Ed G and get a slalom pull with the OBV and settle this thing once and for all.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

@kaneboats - Thank you for the suggestion.

I wouldn't want to impose on Ed. And to be brutally honest, I think I'd embarass myself riding in one of Florida's colder winters -- in Clermont (us South Florida people are true whimps when it comes to that cold water stuff).

None the less, I've written Ed to see if he's got any suggestions.

I know Ed will chime in soon. He said that the outback v has an outstanding slalom wake.

if, just if you time your visit to Ed just right, I could give a pull behind a LSV
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Or me, but you have to time it right on May 21. You'll probably be tired of your new boat by then though in S. Fla., right? Come on anyway and bring your new boat.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!