Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat in Water?

Default Boat in Water?

I am aware that is is not good on the gelcoat to leave a boat in the water, but to what extent? Some people rent wet slips and keep their boat in all summer. Most trailer their boats home, or have them on hoist lifts, which keeps the boat out of the water. I am aware of gelcoat bubbles that can form if a boat is left in the water, but how long does that take? Reson Im asking is to prevent freezing this year, im just leaving it in the water for a few months in the winter time. Also I've got it set up for surfing, and if I leave it in, I dont have to drain the bags. Your oppinions? Will I hurt anything if I leave it in say Jan through Mar? Other than having a nice water line to scrub off of it?
    08 Outback. Private Lake Owner.

When Lake Travis was so low 2 summers ago I kept my boat in the water for about 2 months because my marina's lift shut down. I was pretty paranoid, and pulled it out about a month early than I was planning on but everything seemed fine.

It sucked cleaning the hull though, got pretty green and that is a fairly clean lake.
    Skylar18
    2007 Sunsport 22V

Quote Originally Posted by usaski1 View Post
    Reson Im asking is to prevent freezing this year, im just leaving it in the water for a few months in the winter time. Also I've got it set up for surfing, and if I leave it in, I dont have to drain the bags. Your oppinions? Will I hurt anything if I leave it in say Jan through Mar?
    How does leaving it in the water keep it from freezing? If you leave your boat outside unwinterized and you have a deep freeze, your block is going to crack, whether it's sitting in the driveway or on the water.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Al, I have heard of that. leaving a boat in the water helps prevent freezing due to heat transfer from the warmer water. Not sure I believe it.

Did you ever see that photo of the old ski boat (Centurion?) frozen in the middle of the lake-people were walking right around it on the ice, anyway I always wondered if that block froze or what structural damage that boat sustained.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Gel coat blistering can occur differently for different boats. Your boat may be able to stay in the water for 2 years and have no effect, or it may blister after a week. One sure way to prevent is to treat your hull with bottom side paint. I have seen boats that get blisters from the bunks on the trailer/lift. It's a crap shoot.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    Al, I have heard of that. leaving a boat in the water helps prevent freezing due to heat transfer from the warmer water. Not sure I believe it.

Did you ever see that photo of the old ski boat (Centurion?) frozen in the middle of the lake-people were walking right around it on the ice, anyway I always wondered if that block froze or what structural damage that boat sustained.
    I can see that happening and I figured that's what the OP was referring to, but during a deep freeze, I don't think it will be enough to offset the ambient air temp and keep the water in the block from freezing. I certainly would not gamble on it if it were me.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Replaced my Motor last year from freezing. $5,500 later.......Not taking any chances. At least winterize it. Trust me, If you have to question if it will freeze or not.....don't risk it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2004 Supra Launch

Acme 913 Prop
    WS420, L5 kicker sub, JL/Kicker Amps
    4 Polk mm in Roswell, 6 Kicker in boats
    3000# Ballast

Quote Originally Posted by usaski1 View Post
    I am aware that is is not good on the gelcoat to leave a boat in the water, but to what extent? Some people rent wet slips and keep their boat in all summer. Most trailer their boats home, or have them on hoist lifts, which keeps the boat out of the water. I am aware of gelcoat bubbles that can form if a boat is left in the water, but how long does that take? Reson Im asking is to prevent freezing this year, im just leaving it in the water for a few months in the winter time. Also I've got it set up for surfing, and if I leave it in, I dont have to drain the bags. Your oppinions? Will I hurt anything if I leave it in say Jan through Mar? Other than having a nice water line to scrub off of it?
    How cold does it get by you? does the lake actually freeze? If the lake doesnt freeze you probably are ok, but its a gamble...

There are way too many factors to predict it as was said. I know people who's boats sit in the water all year with nothing, but i also know of two people who did it and both had blisters within a month so it's definately a crap shoot. To me it's not worth the added of hassles, I would just pull it out on the trailer and do a proper winterizing.

Also leaving water in the bags is not the best thing to do, all kind of nasty things happen when water is left in too long.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Heat transfer from the prop and hull with less contact for air prevents freezing. I hoisted it up, and the bottom was nice and green from sitting in the water for a month. yuck. I started the motor, and it ran fine, but would not start for about 10 min cranking on it. Kinda scared me for a moment. Cmtaylor777, how cold does it get where you are, and for how long? Im in central TX (Austin) we have got down to 22 or so this year.
    08 Outback. Private Lake Owner.