Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs up fully electric tow boat from Nautique!!

Pretty cool, i just got done watching the video. I would love to have a listen to the boat taking off with no other noise in the background. They say in the video that they can do 3-4 skier sets before the batts need to be recharged and that the batteries can be recharged in 4 hours.

http://blog.teamnautique.com/2011/01...tric-nautique/
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!

That is insane. I can't imagine the cost that has gone into that prototype boat.....

This is probably the future. Glad to see they have a decent start on this. Pretty sharp looking boat too.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Ya i really liked the colours on the boat. Anyone have an estimate as to how long 3-4 skier sets is??

I am going to guess that at this point they are at about 60-90 min. run time before recharge. They have the same problem all the cars have. You have to balance weight and battery life. It will be interesting to see the wakeboard boats. You'll have built in ballast but you'll have to trailer all of it.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

wondering if it would be possible to have a couple sets of batteries.... then just swap em out. Head out in the morning for the first set run them down then stick them on charge and head out with the other set. stop for lunch and by the time your done lunch the first set should be ready to go again?? Pretty cool as a prototype but unless they get them up to at least 3-4 hours use per charge i can't see them taking over? Also life of batteries and cost of additional sets?? Of course the fuel savings should ofset this i would assume.

They need to have solar panels attached to the top of the bimini to help charge on the go....

Quote Originally Posted by saskyrider View Post
    They need to have solar panels attached to the top of the bimini to help charge on the go....
    Now you're talking! We could run all day on the FL sun.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I have wanted to hear about this for years! I find it ridiculous that the human race is still using piston engines.

Hybrids are expensive. All-electric systems are not. They are far simpler than the alternatives. Lots of people have been home-brewing electric vehicles for decades -- but seldom for winter use!

Put a bunch of solar panels on the boat barn's roof, Mr. Marina Operator. I'll rent that rather than buy your gas. The boat will charge all week and I'll use it on the weekend.

Just like road vehicles, the batteries remain the weak point for electric systems. That will get fixed somehow because the auto industry requires it and will pour billions into the problem. Kudos to Nautique for being leaders in this regard in the boat industry.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

we're still using piston engines as there has been no pressure to change until the last 4-6 years due to plentiful and cheap oil.

I don't see any changes coming in the near future for any boating use. we are already all griping about the expense in a wakeboat, and that's without paying for the development costs of a new technology. I would bet that nautique started putting cash into that project back 2-4 years ago when they were selling boats left and right. the technology will change eventually, but I'm betting that 10 years from now, we're all still buying v8-powered pistoned boats.

it is a very cool boat and a good find
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I suppose they are as far along as the cars were 10 years ago. Politics have changed a little bit. The big 3 are getting on board with the cars. Oil companies are becoming energy companies. I love an internal combustion engine but love power more. Give me performance and I'll get over the CO2 and CO.

As far as switching batteries mid-day-- you need to compare the weight of a typical car battery to the weight of the ones that power that boat. Not gonna be easy.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!