Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Ditto to everything KG said, I was told my boat was a flawless beauty. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, that's a fact. Take the time, make the trip yourself.

Hey thanks for all the help guys, its actually in fort meyers. I had a plan to go down and check it out, but have limited time when I want to. If i bought it would I be able to have the indmar warranty transfer after I bought it.

well thats about 2 hrs south of me-shame its not closer.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Defintely do your salt water research. Make sure you know if the trailer has ever been dipped in the salt water. That's the key.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    I would have the owner take it to the nearest Moomba dealer or qualified inboard mechanic and pay them to do a thorough cosmetic and mechanical inspection. If it checks out, I would then buy a plane ticket and fly down there and see the boat in person. If everything is to your satisfaction, then complete the sale in person, then make the arrangements to have it shipped/tow it home.

I would never buy anything of this magnitude sight unseen but that's just me. Please go to the boat owners section and read dusty's post regardning his new Supra. He bought a boat with 103 hrs on it sight unseen and it was nothing like described. Lucky for him, the dealer stepped up and took care of him. Most buyers are not so lucky.
    Listen to this advice brother. Do not let emotions get the best of you. I nearly did that with my first boat purchase and if I did not take the time to go check the boat out in person, I would have been a very unhappy camper when I got home. The person selling it was not aware of the slight crack in the block. At least that is what they said, so who knows.

At the very least, get it checked out by a certified Indmar mechanic and by all means find out if it has been in salt water. Very common for a boat in Florida.

Good luck and be sure and post your pictures when you get her in your possession!
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

yeah the guy selling it told me it hasn't been in salt water, but like you said i should probably have it checked out. Would you guys recommend having him take it to a dealer to get it checked out before I go down there?

Quote Originally Posted by snyderaaron View Post
    yeah the guy selling it told me it hasn't been in salt water, but like you said i should probably have it checked out. Would you guys recommend having him take it to a dealer to get it checked out before I go down there?
    I would. I'm sure you are going to be spending $30k+ on this boat - isn't it worth a couple hundred to have a professional mechanic go through it and give u a thorough, impartial assessment of the boat? He will either save you a trip down there if it doesn't check out, or give you peace of mind if it does. Either way, I think that's easily worth a couple hundred bucks.

This is how I bought my car. Was only two years old with 18k miles. Found it in Utah, I live in Oregon. Had the owner take it to the dealer, paid them to check it out. Got the thumbs up so I flew down there, checked it out for myself, then paid for it and drove it home. I don't like to take chances when big money is involved but that's just me.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

If for some reason you do end up getting Land O Lakes to check it out let me know-they are about 2 minutes away.

Is this a black LSV?
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

LOL Al your killing me man LOL

OK first thing i want to say is if anyone knows someone with a truck to haul a boat over that distance then good. If you know a person who drives for US boats and you can hire him privately even better.

I haul RVs and Boats as a side job and i will take a private customer contract any day over a company one. I can tell you the driver at best will get 1.25 a mile.

Things you look out for if you have it contracted to haul. If its a company then just make sure they have the 1Million dollar policy because thats the industry standard.

If you hire privatly make sure that driver has the policy, ask for him to fax a copy of it. As him for his DOT inspection number on his DOT safety tag because all contract drivers are required to have this on there truck. I have one inside the left rear door that proves the truck was DOT certified with no issues and passes a DOT inspection.

Lastly the reason the driver will go over the boat with a fine tooth comb at pickup and delivery is because we are responsible for any damage done or delivered with even if we didn't do it. If i miss damage on the pick up and its there at drop off i pay for repairs off my policy or out of pocket.

If you want to the boat taken for inspection then ask the current owner to take it to a shop of your asking. I say call the shop ahead of time and set the appointment this way you have the control. Then its billed directly to you and you know your not getting skewed results as you are the one buying the service. This also allows the current owner to know your serious and not wasting his time as hes not paying for this service to be done.

If you cant make it down to bring the boat home the other option is Fly down there. Get the boat checked out and then take it to a storage place and have it stored in a garage normaly costing about 150 a month. Then when you have a week off take your truck down there and bring it home.

I would opt for flying there going to the dealer, listening to the dealer while he inspects the boat on site. Then have the owner drive it to a storage unit and park it. Then come back later with your truck and haul it home. This allows you to be on site and allows you to bring the boat home safe and you will also know how the boat tows long distance.

Hope this helps ya bro and good luck. If i was East coast id haul in a sec for you and only charge you .75 cents a mile plus some money for my time.

This is how i charge people in my neck of the woods i know. Much cheaper in the long run then using a company that will prolly charge you closer to 2.50 or 3.0 a mile.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Before Anything, Get the VIN and check on the Warranty!!!

Fly down and get the inspections done.

TRUE STORY over on CenturionCrew last week: The pimped black Enzo that slid down the highway in Texas showed up on ebay with a 'clean title' from a dealer in CA. After attemps by crew members that the dealer should disclose everything, it wasn't and the ebay auction went for over $40k. The boat looked too good, but hopefully a mechanic and/or buyer will do homework and find the truth. Most boat sales have been good, but I can't understand people not flying to see such an expensive purchase. Make a vacation out of it.