Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: amp wiring

This should help....

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

Wow that's an awesome link Brian! Thank you.

Mla, I will be wiring the tower
    2006 Moomba Gravity XLV. Cabin speakers: db651 on 1200.4 JL Tower Speakers: 4 WetSounds Pro 60, GIII with 750's in the Stern and 1100 in Bow. Wakeplate.

Quote Originally Posted by rjgaumer View Post
    look like someone found the smiley button! haha ^^^ so if i just twist the 2 +'s together and the 2 -'s together for each pair and plug them into one channel each im good?
    Yes, but that means u will be running 4 pairs of speaker wires thru the tower which is not easy to do. Just wire one speaker to the amp then wire the second speaker to the first, connecting the positives to each other and the negatives to each other. Then do the same for the other channel and other pair of speakers.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

brian, so the + from one channel will go to the + on one speaker. then from the - on that that speaker it goes to the + and the next. then from that 2nd one the - goes to the - on the amp?
    No, that is series wiring.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Wow that's an awesome link Brian! Thank you.

Mla, I will be wiring the tower
    Rj,

There are a couple ways to skin this cat, but since your tower currently has no wire at all, here is how I would approach it.

Since you are going with 2 speakers, you will, in a sense, have a pair on the port side of the tower and a pair on the starboard. I would run two 12ga speaker wire pairs up the tower from the amp to the tower, or visa-verse if its easier to pull the wire down the tower to the boat. This can be done with two runs of traditional 2 conductor speaker wire, or a single run of double-insulated 4 conductor, point being, you will need a + and - for each side.

At the amp, you will have 4 wire ends, 2 + and 2 - and the 2 chnl has 2 + and 2 - terminals, so each end has a home. At the speakers, wire one speaker pair to one speaker on one side, then just electrically connect the 2nd speaker on that side to the 1st, matching the + and -. Repeat the same for the other side.

Now, there are lots of ways to physically do this, but the important part is to get two speakers on one side connected + to + and - to -.

If you speaker enclosures and clamps are such that the wire fishes through the clamp, then you will need to fish a jumper from speaker #2 through the tower to where the wire for speaker #1 pops out. From there, make you connections.

If the wire connections are on the enclosures, then you have a couple options: you can drill 4 holes in the tower, same as above, and pretty much do the same. Or, you can drill 2 holes in the tower, so you have one between each speaker pair. From there, you can simply jump speaker #2 to speaker #1 that is wired to the amp. Or, you can split off the 12ga that runs to the amp, and have a short piece of wire running to each enclosure.

Split-loom conduit or mesh flex-loom will dress up an exposed wiring. Gel filled heat shrink works well for sealing splices. Clean the burs out from any holes drilled. Either use a snap-bushing or grommet in the drilled holes, or at least feed enough of the loom into the hole that is adds another layer of protection to the wire.

Again, there are lots of ways to to do this, just make sure its electrically done correctly.

Nice write up MLA.

RJ,

Not sure what boat you have but on my LSV, I was able to run ALL the wires inside the tower. The only exposed speaker wire I have is where it goes around the front leg pivot.

See the link below which shows how I did it.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=12976

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

i have an xlv. so are the any cons about only wiring 2 sets of wire for the 4 speakers? it will be a total of about 800 watts. so 400 through each.
    2006 Moomba Gravity XLV. Cabin speakers: db651 on 1200.4 JL Tower Speakers: 4 WetSounds Pro 60, GIII with 750's in the Stern and 1100 in Bow. Wakeplate.

i have an xlv. so are the any cons about only wiring 2 sets of wire for the 4 speakers? it will be a total of about 800 watts. so 400 through each.
    Not as long as u use adequately sized wire. I run an Exile Harpoon amp rated 1000W rms (so 500W per side) and don't have any problems. I'm running high quality 12 ga wire.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

With two 4 Ohm speaker wires in parallel on each chnl, your amp will be delivering 225 watts rms (continuous power) per chnl. So you will be perfectly fine with 12ga speaker wire.