Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks for the advice - saving money for beverages is always good advice...
    Got the 3 sets of DB651 on order, to be powered by a Kicker 5 channel and a Polk marine 10" sub, I can't wait!
    2006 Mobius LSV 325 hp MPI Indmar
    2005 6L Silverado 1500HD Quadrasteer
    MODS: Polk DB651's Cabin Speakers, 10" Polk MM1040 Sub in a custom sub box, Kicker ZXM700.5 5 channel Amp, EZ net cargo nets, ACME 1847 Prop, 4 outlet Heatercraft Heater

Quote Originally Posted by Grant M View Post
    Thanks for the advice - saving money for beverages is always good advice...
    Got the 3 sets of DB651 on order, to be powered by a Kicker 5 channel and a Polk marine 10" sub, I can't wait!
    Hopefully you got a dual 4 ohm voice coil sub?
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Its a Polk MM 1040UM (ultra Marine) 10" sub.
    The literature states "Available in single and dual voice coil (DVC) configurations allow flexible wiring options in all sizes."
    It also has a nominal impedance of 4 ohms.
    I'm a real newb when it comes to audio so I'll appreciate any advice I can get.

Question 1 - do you think I'll need Bass Blockers for the cabin speakers?

Thanks

Grant
    -23 deg C here today with 5 more inches of snow on the way.....
    I'm missin my Moomba.....
    MODS: Polk DB651's Cabin Speakers, 10" Polk MM1040 Sub in a custom sub box, Kicker ZXM700.5 5 channel Amp, EZ net cargo nets, ACME 1847 Prop, 4 outlet Heatercraft Heater

The literature states "Available in single and dual voice coil (DVC) configurations allow flexible wiring options in all sizes."

Thanks

Grant
    No bass-blocker needed.

The Kicker ZX700.5 is a 4 chnl full-range and mono sub chnl amp all in one chassis. The four full-range chnls will allow you so set the in-boat to "Hi-Pass" so they only receive the upper end frequencies.

On the end of the amp where the speaker wires connect, you will see a few slide switches. You will have two marked "X-over1" and "X-over2" under each one, your choices are OFF and HI-PASS. Set both these to HI-PASS.

On the front of the amp, you have three set of dials. 3 dials each for "Amp-1" (chnl 1 and 2), "Amp-2" (chnls 3 and 4) and "Sub".

For amp 1 and amp 2, set the Bass-Boost to "0" or Off. Set the cross-over control to about 100Hz. I think this is about the 11 oclock position. For the gain, fallow a gain setting procedure, but you will probably end up about the 10 to 11 oclock position. Maybe less if you have a line-driver also installed in the system.

For the sub section, I can only ball-park the setting as i do not have a ton of experience with that Polk. Bass-Boost set to Off and cross-over control set to about 70-80 Hz. Gain will the same setting procedure. Again, this is just a starting point.

On your sub, flip it over and look at the magnet. Does it state single or dual voice coil. If dual, are they 2 or 4 ohm? This will help you determine the best way to wire the sub up and what the expected output to the sub will be.

Hey, thanks for the advice! I feel like I'm half done before I even start!

Thanks

Grant
    Grant,

I think the dual voice coil model is the MM1040UMDVC. With the single voice coil 4 ohm sub, the Kicker ZX700.5 will deliver 210W RMS. With a DVC sub, you can wire the voice coils so that the amp sees half the load, or 2 ohms, and can deliver twice the power, or 420W RMS.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Hey Al, after doing some digging I'm not sure if the 10" MM1040UM's come with DVC?? I have emailed Polk directly to ask though.
    Again I appologize for being such a newb about this stuff, but I take it the DVC is much preferred over the SVC. Is there that much difference? Again I've never compared the two with a sound test.

Thanks for the advice.

Grant
    Last edited by Grant M; 01-14-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Hey Al, after doing some digging I'm not sure if the 10" MM1040UM's come with DVC?? I have emailed Polk directly to ask though.
    Again I appologize for being such a newb about this stuff, but I take it the DVC is much preferred over the SVC. Is there that much difference? Again I've never compared the two with a sound test.

Thanks for the advice.

Grant
    A dvc and an svc sub will sound the same, everything else being equal. The dvc allows you to run the sub at 2 ohms which means your amp can deliver more power to the sub.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Gotcha, less impedance = more power from amp = more bass from sub.
    I haven't bought the sub yet, so since I'm thinking of mounting it above the drivers hump it should stay dry so I could get away with a non marine certified sub that has DVC's.

Thanks again for the help.

Grant

Yup, you got it. And the non-UM Polk sub should be just fine.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV