Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

well what your saying sounds good! i will soon be putting it to the test!
    Thanks again for all the help man.
    2006 Moomba Gravity XLV. Cabin speakers: db651 on 1200.4 JL Tower Speakers: 4 WetSounds Pro 60, GIII with 750's in the Stern and 1100 in Bow. Wakeplate.

MLA's responses are spot on. The speakers are 4 ohm speakers and that does not change. What does change is the resistance that the amp "sees". Wiring two speakers in parallel halves the resistance that the amp sees and therefore, is able to deliver more power than if wired to one speaker at 4 ohms. However, this power is shared by two speakers so each speaker gets half the output.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

If you are interested in learning more about speaker wiring, ohms, and impedance, I strongly encourage you to read and re-read the link below until you understand what is going on. This really helped me out.

http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Just a thought here also.

You wont have to fade the Bow speakers so they don't get distortion or such because when you crank the deck up it will be giving the same 50% or 75% output to this bow speakers as it gives to the amps. The difference is the amp will be louder due to more power output.

Just make sure you listen to the bow speakers and figure out the maximum output you can turn your deck up before you are damaging the speakers.

The nice thing is you can use the gain and fader to match your cabins output or make the cabins play much louder then the bow so you don't damage the bow speakers with distortion.

exp Your deck is at 75% and your bow speakers are sounding like dog do because the deck is maxed but you want more jam. Turning the gains up on the cabin will give you more output and as long as the amp isnt seeing distortion from the deck then you can turn the gains up to get more power off the amp. Then you can turn the deck down slightly to clean up your bow speaker sound and still jam in the cabin area.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Ultimately a four-channel amplifer is the way to go to power the six in-boat speakers.
    You can run the bow speakers off the source and the four cockpit speakers off the two-channel amplifier. There are issues. The source unit will clip very early and way before you reach the potential of the amplifier. To offset this you can gain the amplifier up but that makes the volume control very sensitive with minimal sweep and raises the noise floor on the amplifier. Obviously the bow speakers will never compete in amplitude. Also, depending on where you are going with your system, this scheme can circumvent the ability to have fully isolated or at least convenient zone controls between the in-boats and tower.
    In the series/parallel scheme that MLA mentioned you would have an inordinate amount of power going to the bow speakers in comparison to the power that is divided between the seriesed cockpit speakers. Placing a 10 or 12-step autoformer on just the bow speakers (which are in parallel with the seriesed cockpit speakers) will correct the impedance and bring the bow into balance with the cockpit. This stereo device modifies the impedance and power flow (amplitude) by a magnetic means and therefore generates little to no heat or waste. Once adjusted you can hide it away permanently or leave the knob exposed if you have people in the bow that want the level reduced.
    You can even place the controller in the bow for the use of the bow occupants.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    If you are interested in learning more about speaker wiring, ohms, and impedance, I strongly encourage you to read and re-read the link below until you understand what is going on. This really helped me out.

http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html
    Thanks for this one Al. I need to read up on this stuff.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Thanks for this one Al. I need to read up on this stuff.
    Welcome. I know it really helped me out.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    Ultimately a four-channel amplifer is the way to go to power the six in-boat speakers.
    You can run the bow speakers off the source and the four cockpit speakers off the two-channel amplifier. There are issues. The source unit will clip very early and way before you reach the potential of the amplifier. To offset this you can gain the amplifier up but that makes the volume control very sensitive with minimal sweep and raises the noise floor on the amplifier. Obviously the bow speakers will never compete in amplitude. Also, depending on where you are going with your system, this scheme can circumvent the ability to have fully isolated or at least convenient zone controls between the in-boats and tower.
    In the series/parallel scheme that MLA mentioned you would have an inordinate amount of power going to the bow speakers in comparison to the power that is divided between the seriesed cockpit speakers. Placing a 10 or 12-step autoformer on just the bow speakers (which are in parallel with the seriesed cockpit speakers) will correct the impedance and bring the bow into balance with the cockpit. This stereo device modifies the impedance and power flow (amplitude) by a magnetic means and therefore generates little to no heat or waste. Once adjusted you can hide it away permanently or leave the knob exposed if you have people in the bow that want the level reduced.
    You can even place the controller in the bow for the use of the bow occupants.

David
    Earmark Marine
    jrgaumer,

The take away from this is that you should really get a 4 or 6 channel amp and do this right the first time.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

And I have the factory 4 channel pulled or of my boat and would be interested in selling.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

KG

what are you looking to get for that amp?
    2006 Moomba Gravity XLV. Cabin speakers: db651 on 1200.4 JL Tower Speakers: 4 WetSounds Pro 60, GIII with 750's in the Stern and 1100 in Bow. Wakeplate.