Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default On Board Chargers

I haven't had a need for one and still not sure I will be able to use it much but ...

Is there a popular brand? What are the recommendations and necessary minimums? I know it depends on the number of batteries and how quickly you want to charge them, etc. which i can look into further. I am just curious about reviews and anything I need to watch out for.

My research online has been all over the place and I can't determine if there is a "go-to" charger. Basically on-board chargers 101.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

DUAL pro chargers are the best IMO....

depending on batteries
    6 amp 10+ hour charge
    10 amp 6+ hours
    15 amp 2-4 hours

I'm running a Pro Mariner ProSport12. It is dual bank. I swear I talked with David last year before I bought it and he gave me some recommendations and said this would meet my needs, but I can't verify that. From my understanding, this model is a "Smart Charger" in the sense that it has the ability to do more than what some other chargers do. This particular charger will send more than 6 amps to each battery if one needs more and one doesn't, where as there are other chargers that cap at 6, period.

Example, start batt. needs 4 amps of the 12, and stereo batt needs the other 8 amps. This charger will allow that to happen rather than sending 4 to the main and capping at 6 for the stereo.

That make sense? That's my understanding.

Now however, as I posted in another thread an am awaiting an answer, I need to know if this dual bank will effectively charge 3. I'm assuming it would, however on the 2 linked batts, they would split the amps.

man, I'd like to think I have a pretty nice system that is capable of a ton of "noise", but I've never seen the need for this. granted I don't live in a party cove floating around blasting tunes all day, but so far, neither one of my interstate batteries have shown any signs of not taking what I throw at it, with just the fall charge prior to storage in the garage and a spring top-off.. 3 years out of the factory batteries that I assume were crap to begin with and 2 years out of the current batteries that still charge like new.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

KG,
    Short version. I know how improbable that sounds.
    Intell-Power is a beast when you get into the big boys. State of art. Highly efficient.
    Yes, Dual Pro is recognized as a top brand among the most demanding users... fishermen. If anyone would know they would.
    Pro Mariner (Pro Sport) is just a notch below but is very affordable for the capacity and features that you get. Used them for years.

With lead acid batteries you want your charger capacity to be 10 to 13 percent of your collective battery amp/hours. That insures that the batteries are adequatedly chemically stimulated after a deep cycle so that the effects of sulfation do not slowly ruin your batteries.
    You only need a dual bank charger for three batteries.
    'Distribute on demand' means that a majority of your chargers total capacity can be directed to the bank in need which aptly fits your usage.
    Trickle or maintenance chargers are fine for starting batteries that are not deep cycled. Not recoomended for a deep cycle and high current stereo usage.
    But, its still better than no charger at all.
    Stay away from home garage emergency (low/high/boost) chargers as you can't walk away from them.
    An undersized charger is not going to last on multiple batteries.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    KG,
    Short version. I know how improbable that sounds.
    Intell-Power is a beast when you get into the big boys. State of art. Highly efficient.
    Yes, Dual Pro is recognized as a top brand among the most demanding users... fishermen. If anyone would know they would.
    Pro Mariner (Pro Sport) is just a notch below but is very affordable for the capacity and features that you get. Used them for years.

With lead acid batteries you want your charger capacity to be 10 to 13 percent of your collective battery amp/hours. That insures that the batteries are adequatedly chemically stimulated after a deep cycle so that the effects of sulfation do not slowly ruin your batteries.
    You only need a dual bank charger for three batteries.
    'Distribute on demand' means that a majority of your chargers total capacity can be directed to the bank in need which aptly fits your usage.
    Trickle or maintenance chargers are fine for starting batteries that are not deep cycled. Not recoomended for a deep cycle and high current stereo usage.
    But, its still better than no charger at all.
    Stay away from home garage emergency (low/high/boost) chargers as you can't walk away from them.
    An undersized charger is not going to last on multiple batteries.

David
    Earmark Marine
    David,

I just want to say that I am constantly amazed at your patience and willingness to spend your vaulable time answering the same questions over and over again on this forum. I know I asked you this same question this summer and I'm sure it's been asked again several times since.

So I just wanted to take a moment to say thanks for taking the time to educate us noobs so that we can make informed decisions about our audio gear - we are very fortunate to have you on this forum.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Well, thanks Al. I appreciate being appreciated.
    Actually I'm sick as a dog today with a brutal cold so I'm staying clear of everyone and playing on the computer all day long. That and if given the opportunity I could talk audio til the cows come home.

David
    Earmark Marine

I have an email sent to you that should keep you tied up for a while, as well as a pm.

Ha. Sorry your under the weather.

I use a reasonable priced digital computer style charger. It has multiple settings 2,6,10 amps if i recall and has reg, deep cycle, and another tpye settings.

Its a smart charger and i plug it on battery 3 with my perko in Both position, it generaly says 95% charged and shows me the combined battery voltage. It will then start charging and when the batteries are 100% it automaticaly turns off.

I leave it connected all winter and it will periodicaly turn on and off to keep the batteries maintained. I think i spent about 50 bucks on it.

During the summer i can plug it in when i get home and everything is at 100% again in the am

I plan to get an onboard charger but just isnt in the cards yet.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

mmandley,
    Consider this. For the time being use a timer and rotate your existing charger between the two banks (single starting battery and dual stereo batteries).
    The starting and stereo banks are used differently and will age differently resulting in a different impedance. Keep them isolated and charge them independently. This will keep you from under-charging one bank and over-charging the other bank. You may notice that the warmth of one bank is different from the other. This difference may increase over time. After a while this will shorten the lifespan of your batteries.

David
    Earmark Marine