Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

David, I want to make sure I'm following you on something. For charging batteries together they need to be same type and age, if I understand correctly. What about for usage? Can someone add a third battery (a 2nd stereo battery) to the already existing one and use as one bank to power stereo and acc without the concerns you have mentioned?
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

KG,
    Charging systems are not perfect and filled with contradictions but you try to prioritize and minimize the problems. And, its a moving target as the size of your system changes.
    Its okay to add a disimilar battery to an alternate bank. While the alternator cannot differentiate (its not a charger but just a maintainer and a clumsy component at that) your charger can. Even if separate banks had identical batteries they wouldn't be identical for long because they are used differently.
    Now if you have two batteries in parallel on the same bank then they need to be identical in size, type, age, use, in every respect. Otherwise this will weaken not one but both batteries. If its a temporary measure then go ahead with it but don't ruin your investment in a new and perfectly good battery. What is the long term affect on a 12 volt battery with one bad 2 volt cell?

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    My research online has been all over the place and I can't determine if there is a "go-to" charger. Basically on-board chargers 101.
    I am not sure if this is a route you would be interested in but you can go with an on the go charger as well as have the ability to charge from a plug..

These arent the cheapest of chargers but I know they have a ton of positive feedback in the bass boat world...

How many amps are the alternators on the indmars?

http://www.stealth1charging.com/

David
    Have you ever looked into this system? Its got my interest for the on the go charging... Plus they are very small units compared to most everything else....
    Last edited by lsvboombox; 01-04-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Clueless. No experience with that. Fishing boats with outboard motors have smaller alternators. I need to look into this to see if its applicable to V8 towboats with bigger charging systems.