Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have heard nothing but good advice from these gentlemen and from others on this site. I don't think you can go wrong with what is said. There are enough people on this site with a lot of experience with systems that they have been able steer people right and then you have the experts who have the equipment to analyze the results. The DIY doesn't have all of the diagnostic equipment so they rely on their ears. So if you're a sound perfectionist, then you need to consider using these guys from the get go as they have systems that they know work well together and have the equipment to analyze the final product. I am a DIY in this area and I'm satisfied with my system for myself and I didn't spend much money in this area but then I don't use the system that much.

I thought the videos from a year ago were one of the best presentations on system upgrades that I had seen. I appreciate sharing the information and knowing that applying what I learned is two different things.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Wow, took one beer to read the responses and going to take another to respond ... should be a good new years eve! ... If i can figure out where to start on replying ...

I'm not trying to take anything away from these guys. I appreciate what they do and I'm not knocking them in anyway. I want to be clear on that.

There was some frustration in my original response due to the fact i expected the thread "So you want to tune that stereo???" to address something related to tuning. I was excited to read it bc i assumed it would hold a response to the PDF's that were mentioned in another thread or the PM that hadn't been (and still hasn't been) responded to between Brian and myself. So when I read through it and found little to no relevant information related to tuning i was bummed. Then to see the exile guys immediately jump on it claiming its greatness made me laugh. It simply didn't address anything i was hoping it would or that the title suggested.

Don't get me wrong, it was very informative and worth saving. Perhaps with a changed title? Ha. No biggie either way.

Some relevant info: I have talked to Brian multiple times in PM over the past few months. I have talked to David many times over the past year. In fact, half of my budget system as been purchased through the sales that Earmark has. So don't take away from my original reply that I'm trying to snuff them, get their help here on the forum, and match a system they would do.

In another thread, I simply asked for a comparison between a system built at one of these shops versus a DIY job that was tuned by myself or a local shop. I ask because I want to know the cost/benefit of pulling my boat 4.5 hours to get it "tuned". I, nor anyone else that I have seen, has asked for anything free, which someone mentioned above.

David did respond to that in the way that David does. Over my head. But i got the point. However, i was hoping to hear from some of the other guys who have done the stereos themselves. Have you had it next to a boat done at a professional shop? Could your amateur ear tell a difference?

Not sure if I addressed all the comments but I have an empty bottle.
    Last edited by KG's Supra24; 12-31-2010 at 07:25 PM.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by Brianinpdx View Post
    My view of tuning a boat is to re-setup the gains, freq sweep the subs, adjust subsonic filtering, eliminate bassboost, appropriately integrate crossover slopes to flatten out the over all system tonally. From there one can shape appropriately if an EQ is involved or fatten up the bottom end somewhat and most importantly, setup the overall max volume of the stereo so it wont damage the individual components.
    This is essentially what i was wanting expansion on in one of the other threads.

Let me give an outline and maybe you, or someone, can expand.

Re-setup the gains: this is essentially turning the head unit to max volume and turning the gain up on the amp until you begin hearing distortion. Then bring it back down a couple notches?

Freq sweep the subs: Not sure what you mean? Setting the sub amp freq to 60-80 hz?

Adjust subsonic filtering: Highpass the towers and in boats if you have a dedicated sub?

Eliminate bassboost: If th sub amp has a boost, turn it off?

Integrate crossover slopes to flatten out over all tone: I dont have a clue here.

I put question marks next to everything because i just don't know. These are the questions I was looking for answers for in one of the other threads. I was hoping your OP would address these issues.

I was hoping to find answers to the above as well as from other guys that have done it themselves. Have you had yours next to a professional tuned boat? Can you tell the difference? What general guidelines did you follow?
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Yeah sometimes the responses loose me as well.

To be honest i've never had a tune done by a professional shop. I've always followed the basic directions such as Phil posted with decent results. Could it have been better? Probably but i have nobody near me i trust to do it that i know of.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    This is essentially what i was wanting expansion on in one of the other threads.

Let me give an outline and maybe you, or someone, can expand.

Re-setup the gains: this is essentially turning the head unit to max volume and turning the gain up on the amp until you begin hearing distortion. Then bring it back down a couple notches?

Freq sweep the subs: Not sure what you mean? Setting the sub amp freq to 60-80 hz?

Adjust subsonic filtering: Highpass the towers and in boats if you have a dedicated sub?

Eliminate bassboost: If th sub amp has a boost, turn it off?

Integrate crossover slopes to flatten out over all tone: I dont have a clue here.

I put question marks next to everything because i just don't know. These are the questions I was looking for answers for in one of the other threads. I was hoping your OP would address these issues.

I was hoping to find answers to the above as well as from other guys that have done it themselves. Have you had yours next to a professional tuned boat? Can you tell the difference? What general guidelines did you follow?
    Ok brothern let me see if i can help you out here.

System setting to start all flat. This is Deck setting. No treble or bass boost. Turn off the Loudness.

If you use an Iphone or something that has a built in EQ set it to off.

OK for a basic nitty gritty way to assume your deck is producing clean power you use 75% of its volume adjustment. Lets say Kenwoods because most i have seen have 35 on the dial at max. So 30 is the real max i use to make sure its producing a clean signal.

When talking distortion it comes in many varieties but the main one we are concerned with it the type that destroys the amps and speakers.

OK now that Deck is set, you will tune each amp separately now.

Cabin amp. Set gain to lowest point. Now on the amp if you dont have a distortion light or sensor and the only ones i see that do are high end ones like the ones i use.

Lets assume the amp will start producing distortion at 75% also < relative to the gain setting> Rule of thumb is you generally don't gain over 60% on the amp.

Now play some music and with your cabins what your looking for first is high pass > mid bass and tweets < and you slowly turn the gains up till you see or hear this. See the woofer over working < excursion > is maxing out. Or you hear the woofer sounding like its working to hard. The music should sound really clear. Basically at this point if the amp has frequency setting you will prolly you turn this up till its around 120 hz.

Now that that's done you will do the same with the sub but its going to be set closer to the 60-80 hz range most likely You will adjust the gains the same way watching how fare the woofer is throwing. If you get a nasty punchy sound then you need to turn your gain down or change the frequency setting.

You will do this for your tower amp or the speaker the same way.

This gets you tuned so your not blowing your system.

Your direct questions.
    Freq sweep the subs: Not sure what you mean? Setting the sub amp freq to 60-80 hz? Means to flatten it all out at a ) setting

Adjust subsonic filtering: Highpass the towers and in boats if you have a dedicated sub? No this is a setting the sub amp should have its a type of frequency i cant explain this as i just dont quite understand it eather but to me it makes the bass more punchy sounding

Eliminate bassboost: If th sub amp has a boost, turn it off? Yes turn off bass boost settings and loudness setting.

Integrate crossover slopes to flatten out over all tone: I dont have a clue here. Same as the subs it just means you want all the deck settings, and ipod or what ever settings at 0. This way when your setting the gains you don't have exaggerated frequencies your compensating for

I hope this at least clears some of it up for you, Im no pro but id like to think i have a clue most of the time.

After you have all this set up then you can listen to the music and see how it sounds, and if its not to your liking you can then adjust settings, this was just a nitty gritty fast way to get the most clean sound out of the system.

As for my system in my boat i run it all flat and its amazing sounding. I can link you several threads from last spring on it and on my sound tests we did.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    excellent post!

You earned yourself a sticky!!
    What a suck up!
    2007 Mobius LSV