One more thing that I'm compelled to correct is the assertion that its the 'same product at half the price'. Well, its very similar as this was the intention.
If you blow up the product photo it is a clear photoshop job. And where do you suppose the original photo originated. So we really don't know how the real thing will be as compared to the photo representation.
Now we know that its an intended knock-off with no attempt to differentiate the copy from the original because that is the most effective way to siphon off the mindshare that the other product has earned. And by the way, this is how this product copy varies from the normal competitive business environment. Ford, Chevy, Toyota, etc. make every effort to bring a little fresh innovation specifically to set their product apart from those who they borrow from. But this is a highly targeted effort aimed squarely at WetSounds.
The past M.O. has been a direct copy, whether a trademark, model number, visual, feature for feature, etc. "Make an identical copy and make it cheaper" has been the steady mantra delivered to the potential overseas builders. And that is an issue of concern. Specifically, WetSounds is on their 5th generation of revisions for the WS420 EQ. Noise has been reduced. Reliability has been increased. Controls and switches have been altered to stand up better to water and moisture. I'm curious as to which revision was copied and if the factory (its a different factory) that is making the knock-off product is privy to the history or even the reasons for the product improvements. Time will tell.
As a direct importer of underwater lights, LED products and tower speaker pods, I have experience with some of these overseas companies. I think my concerns are a little more than just speculation. Ultimately the keeper of the quality is up to the domestic producer. If you don't have big volume and considerable clout you are at the mercy of people who do not share our general value system.
I'm not criticizing those who choose to purchase a copy. Its your nickel and you are the one solely taking the risk. But, I am trying to give you a perspective that I believe is based on a little bit of the real world.
Its unfortunate that we are so dependent on overseas manufacturing but that ship has sailed long ago and there is no other alternative.

David
Earmark Marine