Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Replying to Topic 'Where is advance on Indmar's HEI distribu

Hi Keaton, Catdog-
    Yes, I did use the Indmar timing gears and chain, which is a roller style chain. I was forced to use them because the Indmar roller cam is a style of a different year than the crate engine had implemented.

I put the two gears "dot to dot" which I had assumed would be propertly aligned. As CatDog mentions, I wonder if aligning to the zero-degree isn't how Indmar typically installs them? Perhaps they install theirs with a slight advance between the two timing marks?

I wonder if I should just mount a two-piece timing cover (easy access) and just test/tweak different degrees to see if I can get more out of it? Sort of a poor man's Dyno . Speaking of which, how do they setup Dyno's for boats anyway? I mean, is it possible to create load for a stationary boat?

Since I'm required to add too much advance in the ignition, to compensate, I would assume I would want to retard the timing grear alignment.

Indmar ought to run a support forum.. It could be paid support -- it would be well worth every penny and then some!

-Rusten

Yes. cam degreeing is done but using a adjustable (slotted) cam gear and you can adjust the degree relative to the crank but you don't want to do that. It would be a waste of time because if you used the stock cam and gear set and alighned your marks then you know that not a problem. Dont devert from the factory specs. They spent alot of time developing that cam and its relation to the crank.

Brian Raymond Guest

It sounds like your a tooth off somewhere. I would double check the distributor installation. Indmar is very helpful, you can get great tech support from them at (901)353-9930. Brian Raymond