4 25.00%
  • moooo prime rib

4 25.00%
  • good thing mcdonalds drive thru is open late

1 6.25%
  • "A christmas story" style-roast duck

0 0%

Default The official holiday food thread poll

So since we seem to have all kinds of random topics going on right now, more than likely due to the boredom that has set in from pretty much the entire country being "winterized" at the time, figured it's time to talk about adding a few pounds over the next 2 weeks

what's your poison over the holidays..

personally, I really dislike turkey. dry, doesn't taste good leftover and needs some topping to really give it some taste. it's been 10 years since I've cooked a turkey for any holiday. did hams for a few years, but the last 3-4 have been prime rib. did an 11lb this summer and it was magnificent. have a 13lb kobe beef prime in the freezer right now just waiting to be cooked
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

If you do a turkey right it's not dry at all. Unfortunately, grandma had no idea what she was doing and that's why we all had to slop gravy over the dry bird. Try cooking it upside down and don't overcook it (as almost everyone does-- the weight of the bird is not what it says on the package. That's the sale weight that includes neck, giblets and water they pump into it. The chart in the cookbook is based on the actual weight of the bird. Most people remember they bought a 20 lb turkey (package weight) and overcook their 15 lb. (cooking weight) bird by almost 2 hours. (You can also try deep frying it-- it will not be dry.)

As for leftovers, we make turkey salad and it's gone in day around here.

Anyway, we have lasagna on Christmas, not because we are Italian, but because I have a great recipe that everyone, including kids, loves. We also have baked potato soup on Christmas Eve. It makes kids sleepy and that's a good thing.

Still, I cant argue with a prime rib. That sounds fantastic!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I ususally try something new each year. Past few include prime rib, rack of lamb, tenderloins & cornish hens (the kiddos loved having their own "liitle turkey"). This year we were on a cruise for Thanksgiving and I missed having some of my family favorites, so it's a big old bird for Christmas.

Couple of tricks to add to Kane's for getting a great bird - smother a piece of cheesecloth in butter and wrap the bird, cover it in a roasting pan and cook low and slow. Use a meat thermometer to let you know it's done. Take the cover & cloth off for about 1/2 hr to brown & crisp it up.

Anything on a Big Green Egg comes out juicy & deliciious.

Frying a bird is fan-frigging-tastic, but is more enjoyable when it's warm and you have a few buddies over drinking beers. It's also the most dangerous. But, nothing says The Holidays more than drunk dudes and hot oil.

Fried turkey FTW!!!!

Generally, we have briskit or Mexican food. Ha, quite the stretch. But both are always amazing.

deep fried turkey..... so juicy!!!!!

where is the turduckhen option!?!?
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Smoked Baby Back Ribs on the pellet grill