Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Tim,
    Even though I frequented every high end HiFi store every other week to see what was new and spent more on stereo than was reasonable, I never got to see or hear the Bozak. It must have been a guaranteed lease buster.
    Phil, We sold the JBL Paragon pictured in the 70s when I was with Pacific Stereo (when it was Colombia Broadcast). Most fun job I ever had. HiFi was at its peak before video and we were located in the most affluent part of Dallas at the time. We just helped people in mass get great systems from the best products available. Those bubbles, while generally short lived, are the best of times. Btw, even though it was not my kind of sound there was a JBL 4311 large bookshelf studio monitor that was incredibly live and dynamic. People who own them do not give them up and only rebuild them. All cast frames. 12 inch sub with a massive coil. Every aspect of construction was the best. Do a search.
    Kaneboats, you are describing a clinical condition created from years of marriage where you have selective hearing losses coincidentally at the exact frequency range of the female voice. This is well documented. I've also adapted over the years to have lost sensitivity in the vocal bandwidth of small children, especially now that my own are raised.

David
    Earmark Marine

some of my fondest memories of growing up with the old man have to do with the dedicated hi-fi room, well really the formal living room, but all we ever used it for was listening to vinyl. it was in the mid 70's and you are correct, before video was big.

he had a sofa table in the corner with a technics 35wpc stereo receiver(analog), a b.i.c. turntable with shure cartrige and a pioneer cassette player(ct-920, was a grand and no autoreverse) all playing through a set of polk audio monitor 10b's. I remember sitting on the couch listening to classical music as a youngster. sounded clean and lifelike..

all this equipment but the turntable are still in the old man's basement. hoping to get my hands on it all someday. he still uses the turntable from time to time, but has replaced most of the gear as, yup, the wife wants a/v sound
    any ideas how tough it is anymore to find a 5.1 receiver that has a phono input..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    some of my fondest memories of growing up with the old man have to do with the dedicated hi-fi room, well really the formal living room, but all we ever used it for was listening to vinyl. it was in the mid 70's and you are correct, before video was big.

he had a sofa table in the corner with a technics 35wpc stereo receiver(analog), a b.i.c. turntable with shure cartrige and a pioneer cassette player(ct-920, was a grand and no autoreverse) all playing through a set of polk audio monitor 10b's. I remember sitting on the couch listening to classical music as a youngster. sounded clean and lifelike..

all this equipment but the turntable are still in the old man's basement. hoping to get my hands on it all someday. he still uses the turntable from time to time, but has replaced most of the gear as, yup, the wife wants a/v sound
    any ideas how tough it is anymore to find a 5.1 receiver that has a phono input..
    One can easily find a good phono preamplifier which will allow you to connect a turntable to a line input. Just do a Google shopping search for riaa phono preamplifier and you will find many to choose from.

Here is an article on the resurgence of vinyl...

http://mediagallery.usatoday.com/Vin...on/G1891,A8070

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    Kaneboats, you are describing a clinical condition created from years of marriage where you have selective hearing losses coincidentally at the exact frequency range of the female voice. This is well documented. I've also adapted over the years to have lost sensitivity in the vocal bandwidth of small children, especially now that my own are raised.

David
    Earmark Marine
    I think you are close. My savage ancestors, at least the males, had to tune out the womenfolk and listen for sounds of approaching danger in their camps. It's hereditary. At least that's how my (divorced) Dad explained it to me.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

kaneboats,
    Unfortuneately divorce has become too common in our society. Proof of this is a popular gift item this Christmas called the 'Divorced Barbie'. She comes fully accessorized including half of Ken's stuff.

Nice, but I completely agree everyone wants the easy way out.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"