Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Also, the Ohm Walsh driver was an interesting bit of speaker technology if you want to do a search on that.
    Maybe someone can help me out with the links on my previous post as I'm having some trouble. Thanks.

David
    Earmark Marine

I had my home stereo system stolen in 1982 and convinced my insurance company that my system was worth $5,000 so I have a Carver rack system. I never use it as the Onkyo 7.1 system in the theater room sounds much better plus I have two subwoofer systems and a Panasonic THX plasma TV. I don't listen to music much at home but I do have some concert videos that I enjoy while working around the home.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Yea, if I listen to music now I put on the DirecTV streaming channel and use the 5.1 system. The home theater speakers aren't bad at all and I'm not exactly rocking out when I'm making dinner. I just have a basic system in each TV room with a Pioneer receiver and Sony sub and speakers. Sounds great for movies and OK for music. If I crank it up at all it is out in the garage with the old 2 ch. stereo receiver and my outdoor speakers.
    Claudia does this all the time to my home system. She leave it in surround then goes in the kitchen to clean or something, i come home and its cranked up and to me sounds like crap.

I go turn off the surround and then it sounds musical again.

Problem with surround when you play general music is the center chanel is a different type and tune then what a normal speaker is. Its designed to highlight vocal and sounds that make you feel like your in the room. The front side speakers are strickly sound effects, rear channels are only sounds behind you or light noises to make you feel more centered in the action and of course the sub is the boom and explantion opoint in an event.

When you play regular music threw a surround system it will play as its a movie and realy messes with the way the sound should sound.

To each there own of course and i know some system today can switch back and forth and sound great but the true big speaker 5.1 systems that have a deddicated center speaker wont sound good playing normal music.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

mmandley is right. 5.1 sounds like shoit playing music.. way too much vocal.
    not a fan of the "out of the box" 5.1 systems that have tiny speakers everywhere. give me a good set of front left/right, then a center/rear that timbre match it.. that way you get a decent 5.1 and a great stereo array..

now about hdmi cables.. who the crap invented them??? I have a sony bluray and a sony lcd tv. I had to run a separate audio cable to the receiver to just listen to cd's, but try to turn on just the bluray w/o the tv.. what a pita.. every time you turn on the bluray, the tv thinks it needs to be on, and when you turn off the tv, the bluray shuts off... STUPID.......
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I am hanging onto two-channel audio as David is. A good stereo setup will create a wall of sound, with every instrument hovering in its proper place, and the vocalist floating right in the center of the room. No center channel speaker needed. So you guys know, the center channel speaker we are all so, (unfortunately) familiar with was developed for an application entirely different from home theater...

In the late 50's and early 60's when multi-channel audio was first coming out, the screens in theaters were really wide. Huge.... Stereo sound hit the scene, with speakers hidden behind the cloth screen, but stereo had its problems for the guy sitting way down front and off to the side. He only heard half of the audio system...
    Remember, the old movie houses used to get really packed; it was prime-time entertainment. SO... The center channel speaker was added to "steer" the sound back onto the screeen so that the guy sitting down front off center could still kinda enjoy the audio... The folks sitting in the center of the room did not need the center speaker; proper stereo fills the "stage" from left to right with a perfect flowing sound field from left to right. Most of us have our home theaers set up where the audience is more or less in the middle of the room; the center channel speaker is not necessary. Some receivers have a setting called "phantom center speaker"... That is really just good old fashioned stereo.

This thread is timely, as I just finished a speaker project last night. I am using the KM6500.2 and the extra KM6500 mids in some 1 cu. ft. cherry cabinets I picked up from Parts Express. See the pics. The tractrix horn allows these things to sound good up close, with a real transparent and open sound... They have tons of dynamic range, from down whisper quiet to explosive loud... I am real pleased with how they look and how they perform.

For my home theater I am only using these two speakers. They are being driven by 4 of the 5 channels in a sweet old Adcom GFA7000. The fifth channel will be used for a sub soon, when I get that built. The preamp tuner is a Carver piece, (I do not recall the model). The output of the Carver goes to a Hughes SRS decoder which allows the front speakers to "throw" a pretty convincing surround sound field through the whole room. The TV is a 60" Sony KDL60EX500

Out in the party garage, I am using a Scott 2-channel receiver, connected to a Sony KDL-32EX40B. The Scott receiver is driving 2 pair of the Kicker KB6000 indoor outdoor speakers. they are not super accurate, but they are loud... Perfect for the football game.

I have a studio where I do my fake radio station stuff for party cove out at the lake, bogus commercials, goofy radio ID tags etc. I used to have a pretty active production studio where I did some demo recording work for musicians and lots of local radio commercials. In there I have a Yamaha preamp, driving a Carver stereo amplifier, (60 RMS x 2). the Carver amp is driving a set of custom cabinets that are loaded with the older Kicker SS components. I know, car speakers as studio monitors right??? They are so accurate that they are entirely suitable as studio reference monitors.

I used to have the old 4-track reel-to-reel TEAC A3340 and Tascam mixing console rig, with the 12" reels of Ampex 456 recording tape, but I am now using the computer for my recording and editing. I can run 4 inputs at a whack and deliver 6 discreet output mixes through a dedicated studio sound card that will record at 24 bit at a 96K frequency. Real accurate stuff... I have an old English Hill mixer I use sometimes if I want to get that old rock and roll sound on any music recording work...

I recently sold some gear as it was sitting collecting dust, and someone needed to enjoy it. This included a late 50's DeWald vacuum tube STEREO integrated amplifer, (old looking and really cool fat tube sound), a Knight vacuum tube stereo integrated amplifier (60's looking, and more accurate than the DeWald, so much so that it was my theater amp for many years) and my venerable old Dynaco Stereo 70 amplifier, (probably the benchmark american tube amp and still a very highly collected and much revered tube amplifer).

I will own another Dynaco, (look it up on ebay, you will be surprised how many there are) some day. I really would love to grab a pair of matched stereo 70 ampo to drive the new speakers I just built. Tubes and horns.... That is really the stereophonic audiofile nut's perfect setup....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by philwsailz; 12-16-2010 at 11:02 AM.

Phil,
    WOW, those sculptured cabinets look incredible, very similar to the shape of mine, which come out of northern Europe.
    Your speakers look like they sound great even in a picture just like a Ferrari looks fast sitting still.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    Phil,
    WOW, those sculptured cabinets look incredible, very similar to the shape of mine, which come out of northern Europe.
    Your speakers look like they sound great even in a picture just like a Ferrari looks fast sitting still.

David
    Earmark Marine
    They are HEAVY too!

Yeah, they sound good. Open and real airy... I need to move the amp though. I just poked it into the stack, (not easy) and I am getting some sympathetic buzzing from something digital. I think it probably is the satellite box...

At least in this installation it is not the alternator....

Phil/David,

You remember Bozak? In High School, my buddies dad had a pair of the concert grands http://stereophile.com/historical/1005bozak/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudy_Bozak

This things were HUGE. But boy did they sound awesome and they could play LOUD. Each speaker had 8 tweeters, 4 12 inch woofers and 2 5 1/4 mid bass. So a total of 8 12's and 16 hihgs and 4 mids for a pair.

He also had one of the first M&K sub sat systems. So when they were gone we would add the M&K sub to the Bozaks and let it rip. we knocked some pictures off the wall one time and had to hang them back up without the glass hoping no one would notice LOL

Tim
    Wet Sounds

I, for one, love the center channel in 5.1. I am a little hard of hearing right in the frequency where voices usually sit. I can hear a truck outside on the street and tell you what color it is but I can't hear a person's voice right next to me. I mean I can hear that they are talking but have trouble making out exactly what they are saying all time. I am able to turn up the center channel and turn down all the music and exploding sounds in movies so I don't miss the dialogue. I'm not saying this is better for music by any means but maybe I should try it for that too. I don't know any lyrics cuz I can't make 'em out.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wetsounds1 View Post
    Phil/David,

You remember Bozak? In High School, my buddies dad had a pair of the concert grands http://stereophile.com/historical/1005bozak/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudy_Bozak

This things were HUGE. But boy did they sound awesome and they could play LOUD. Each speaker had 8 tweeters, 4 12 inch woofers and 2 5 1/4 mid bass. So a total of 8 12's and 16 hihgs and 4 mids for a pair.

He also had one of the first M&K sub sat systems. So when they were gone we would add the M&K sub to the Bozaks and let it rip. we knocked some pictures off the wall one time and had to hang them back up without the glass hoping no one would notice LOL

Tim
    Wet Sounds
    Looks like you have been at the library digesting old copies of Sterephile Tim... I never heard a set of those, though I know the name and the legacy.... *bowing in reverence*

I still think the holy grail speaker for me is the JBL D44000, affectionately known as the Ranger Paragon.... http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...bl/paragon.htm I want one some day, but it is pricey.

Here is one for sale on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370409159536

A single hand-built stereo speaker cabinet that threw a stereo image like nobody's business....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by philwsailz; 12-16-2010 at 01:06 PM.