Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire age

Tire manufacturers blend UV protectant into the rubber compounds used for sidewalls. Never had any problems using tire shine products.

Just blew the right front boat trailer tire. 4 new ones will be installed tomorrow
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I now keep my trailer at the marina and only pull the boat out at the end of the season and have it winterized and stored at the same marina so I put less than 200 yards per year on my tires.
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    Just blew the right front boat trailer tire. 4 new ones will be installed tomorrow
    This happened to me when I was bringing the boat home from storage the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. I have a tandem axle trailer and one tire blew due to dry rot. Checked all the other tires and they were dry rotting as well. Had to go and buy 5 new tires...trailer didn't have a spare so I bought a wheel to go along with the tires...trailer still had the original tires on it from when purchased new in '05. Fun times...
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Ahh 303 now that would work as a UV protectant and help the tires, never even thought about that. Wonder if it makes the tires shinny too?
    yes 303 makes them shiny, but not obnoxiously so like some of the "wet look" products.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

We blew one Sunday. Right Rear, and yeah, you guessed it, being in the rear it caught hold of the fender, folded the fender complelty in half. My spare was brand new, so now I'm buying 3 more new ones and hoping I can get the fender beat back to straight.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

i got 4 new carilse sport trails. 600 bucks later i made it home. hopefully i wont have to worry about it for a while now
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Default Check 4WP for Prices

I'm holding out as long as possible for new tires on the trailer which hopefully I won't regret. When I got new tires on my truck a couple months ago I asked if they had trailer tires and they did. $320 mounted and out the door for all four 205/75/14! I can't recall the brand whether it was Carlisle or Goodyear or ??? but it was a name I had come across before shopping around online and had gotten decent reviews.

This was at a 4 wheel parts warehouse. They have locations all over the lower 48. Anyone in need of tires may want to check them out. Last place I would have thought of for the trailer but that price is hard to pass up!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

That sounds pretty darn good.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Trailer tires have 2 main factors working against them for wear and tear, on tandems is the side ways drag the front axle gets when turning and everyones wear is leaving the boat outside.

I highly reccomend if you keep you boat out side that at the end of the season you treat the entire tire with a rubber compund that helps hold the moisture. This will slow the dry rot issues, and those that use the tire goo to make them shinny, well i hope its really good stuff. I stoped using tire goo on my tires after my F150 tires dry rotted with 36K and 3 years on them.

Another thing you can do and it sounds silly but i used to do this on ly old cars too that sat for months and months, keep the tires air up to reg pressure and eighter move the boat or jack it up and spin the tire to a new location for sitting. The same spot on the tire with no rotation causes uneven stress on the tire and can cause it to break down as well.

As for the boat i only use tire goo 1 or 2xs a year if the boat is going to a show. I keep her inside other then that and wash the tires when i wash the boat, so fare 3 years on the tires and no issues.

Im hopping to get the rest of this year out of the boat tires, as the truck will need new tires next spring and i want to upgrade the trailer to match the truck, or something close at least.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]