Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire age

Default Tire age

Found this report from a while ago. I didn't know tires had a manufacture date printed on them so you could figure out their age. And what a cryptic format.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Is 5 years about what you all put on your trailer tires?

This is very interesting........
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

I dont think trailer tires are good for more than 4 or 5 years. I replaced all of mine this year on a 06 trailer after one blew. Had a buddy, also with an 06, have 3 of his blow.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

very eye opening stuff......thanx for the link. Made me go out and check all my rigs.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Interesting, had me curious enough to go look. But won't be replacing any tires.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

On my 10 year old Lund I blew a tire on my way to Norris Lake last year. this year I blew the other one. Both had LOTS of tred. This is the last year the current tires will make that trip on the 05 Moomba.

Both boats are stored indoors.

SD2

Nothing new for me except the coding. Six years is a little early unless they have been on the shelf for awhile. About eight years is it for a tire. After six years, I regularly inspect the tread and sidewall. I had one boat tire where the thread started to separate after nine years. Last month, I put the unused spare on my Blazer after a blowout but I wouldn't expect it to last any longer than the others. That is why I rotate the spare if it is a full size matching tire.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Intresting enough on the F150 i had before, it was an 06 and i bought it in Feb that year. In 09 i had to replace all the tires with only 30K on them because they were all dry cracked due to be driving so few miles on them.

I wasnt worried driving the truck around but when i pulled the boat i was realy worried because of the extra stresses on the rear tires.

Tread wear is a small factor in tire life.

Tire life espeacialy side walls is due to Sun exposure and beleave it or not the shiny looking goo we add to make them look pretty.

If you use tire treatments a lot to make the tires look new, that will generaly wear the tire out faster. Those all have checicals and they soak in the tire and dry it out.

I used that stuff every time i washed my F150 and the tires rotted out. When the tire shoped replaced them they said they see more tires with rotted side walls then aything else due to people adding the tire guu.

Now i dont use it on my truck or boat trailer, i just clean the tires up real nice and go with the flat black look. If im going to take pictures or show the truck and boat for some reason ill use the stuff and then wash it off the next car wash.

Im hopping my boat tires last another season though, my plan is to upgrade the wheels when it needs tires.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Got an 06 single axle and blew one this year. The tires had great tread and I always checked the air pressure before each trip. I usually take 3-4 trips a year traveling about 600 miles round trip.
    Did notice slight dry rotting at the beginning of this year but thought it would make it one more year. Wrong!!
    Boat stored outside during the summer and outside but inside a portable garage in the winter.

Ahh 303 now that would work as a UV protectant and help the tires, never even thought about that. Wonder if it makes the tires shinny too?
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]