Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Could ????

You crazy.

Guys remember something here, just because a speaker says it'll take a certain amount of power doesn't neccessarily mean it will! Start out conservatively, set the amps at 50% or so gain and work up. Not all speakers or amps will take or make what is claimed, or worse blowing or worse one right away!

Use a high quality cd or digital recording to dial in all settings. Ultimately you want a nice blend between cabin, tower and subwoofer speakers.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Im with Raz and Cab on this but even still your forgetting 1 more aspect to Amps power outtage.

DISTORTION ratio

IDK if its 1000 watts at 2 ohm stable all dam day if its pushing 6% distortion it will blow any speaker rated to match it.

DISTORTION kills amps and speakers faster then anything.

Newty can contest to this. He is running non HLCD speakers on his tower and ran the rated power to them with a nice quality amp, they sounded good.

Then he thought for S**Ts and giggles lets up the power to be over rated for those same speakers with a better quality amp and then he was amazed as well as all of us at Exile last summer, his non HLCD speakers were freaking loud and clear more then 100Ft back.

Goes to prove if you push Quality Sound to a speaker it will exceeds its recomended power ratings, as well as Lower then Recomended power will blow a speaker when its Distorted.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Agree and noted with the above. However, i hope we havent been taken as a couple guys that went out and just randomly bought.

The only uncertainty as far as amp/speaker combo is dustys sub bc we dont know anything about it. It was installed in the boat when we picked it up. I ran the JL g1300s to bullet hollowpoint coaxials all last summer. I too was impressed what a coaxial could do bc i had no problem hearing them at wakeboarding distance. It actually made it a tough decision to upgrade to HLCD. I think the products we have choosen (although not exile or wetsound) are proven and should create a good setup.

Once again, thanks for all the help to date and im sure future help as im sure to run into more roadblocks. I just dont want yall to think we are just piecemealing crap together.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Wow I'm late to the party... Again!

Dusty, with regards to the towers, the way you are going to try to wire those speakers will not work like you want.

If you're going to run two 4 ohm speakers to one bridgeable amp you can only wire it in 4ohm or 1 ohm. You will not be able to get 2 ohms with that configuration.

If you run the two speakers in parallel that will give you a 2 ohm load but as soon as you bridge the amp it will drop the load in half again giving you a 1 ohm load. Make sense?

If you run it in series, you're speakers will have an 8 ohm load then you bridge the amp which drops the load in half again will put you at 4ohms.

You either need an amp that is 1 ohm stable or a much larger 2 channel amp to run all 4 speakers. Realistically you should run 1 speaker bridged to each amp to get the load you need.
    Are those amps 1 ohm stable?

Here is another link to help you understand how series and parallel work.

http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/spkr_wiring.html

PWI as usual...

SHAT!

Nevermind, I just realized those amps were mono AB amps!
    Disregard the previous post.

As you were.

PWI as usual...

I think you missed the 2nd amp Newty. We will be running 2 jl's, each at 2 ohm. One JL @ 2 ohms to run a pair of 4 ohm HLCDs and another JL @ 2 ohms to run a pair of 4 ohm HLCDS.

2 amps, 4 speakers. Wired in parallel to get 150 to each speaker.
    2016 Moomba Mojo

SHAT!

Disregard the previous post.
    As you were

hahaha
    2016 Moomba Mojo

All that friggin typing for nothing. I was under the assumption those amps were bridgable 2 channel amps.
    Those mono amps should power up those towers nicely.

As far as the kicker dvc sub, those are good subs. You will be a little overpowered but thats better than underpowered.

What kind of enclosure you guys doing?

PWI as usual...

One that fits the bill. Ha. We are both coming from oversized ported boxes. (pro box and a virtual technology box). I used mine in the floor below the driver last year and its just not going to make it another year. I want all my legroom back. Hoping to find a pretty well built sealed box and put some sort of facia around it.

Anyone used a "truck box" style before? After doing some measurements thats the only way to save alot of room. I'd only be giving up 6" of legroom (mounting it off the floor) which is what im hoping for. If we cant find a box, we have discussed building a facia and building a box onto it that fits the required dimensions (want .85 to 1.0 cu sq ft). Buying one and building facia just seems a lot easier.

I have talked to both Brian and David about boxes. However, our end goal as been to put together a quality BUDGET system. Therefore, if we dont have to drop $$$ for a sub box, we dont really want to.
    2016 Moomba Mojo