Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1,100 lb bag question

Been thinking bout this bag for awhile now but looking for some feedback from other who have it.

Tell me what ya think and if you upgraded from the 750lb bag was it worth it.

Thanks
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I can't speak from upgrading the 750-1100 per-se..

I started with the 400's. went to the boat store and they sold me the 1100 out of the gate 2 years ago. told me that was the largest bag to fit in the rear well of my boat. I only bought one as I have not played with the goofy side at all. the 1100 fills up every square inch of the rear compartment on my boat to the point that I had to replace/reinforce the weak screws that hold the side panels against the engine. blew them out one day. it still has a little bit of room to go as far as the bag filling 100%, but fills every nook/cranny..

fast forward to this past summer. finally replaced the goofy side. dealer only had the 750in, so I bought it. it fills up completely full, but only fills 80% or so of the compartment. granted the waves are different, but you can see a visible difference in the heights of the regular/goofy sides on my boat.

fwiw, I'm planning on selling the 750 in the spring and upgrading to the 1100 on the goofy side as well. it's enough empty space that it's worth it to me, and figuring that for surfing, you are trying to eek every bit of weight you can while keeping it invisible...
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I'd like to see the comparisons too. I wish somebody had photos of the 750 vs. the 1100 in the LSV. I would think you'd have to add more weight up front to really improve it. Stacking that much in the corner would make it taller but a little more up front should lengthen it too. At least I know that Daze and Cab will get it dialed in for me and I just have to copy them.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I have two 1100's in my XLV and came from the 565's. It was a big difference in the XLV because it needs alot of weight. I havent had the issue with the wall divider yet

^ you will at some point. pull out one of the screws that holds those dividers in. they're like 1/2inch into the divider and 1inch into the floor. WAY too small to hold back all the weight in that compartment once you start filling it from floor to ceiling, side to side. took mine 1.5 years to finally give way.

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    ^ you will at some point. pull out one of the screws that holds those dividers in. they're like 1/2inch into the divider and 1inch into the floor. WAY too small to hold back all the weight in that compartment once you start filling it from floor to ceiling, side to side. took mine 1.5 years to finally give way.
    what size screw did you replace it with?

Don't know if you've ever tried this but you can position the 1100 sac in such a way that it leans out and most of the weight rest against the hull and not on the divider wall...at least in my XLV it does. I'll keep an eye on it and look for some bracing material that's easy to remove as well as function
    Last edited by you da man; 12-06-2010 at 01:48 PM.

I just took the screws out, replaced them with stainless hexbolts from homedepot, went to 3/4inch on the actual divider and went 1.5inch I think on the part that goes down into the floor. seemed to do the job. had to drill the holes deeper, that was nerve-racking
    think the whole deal was around $12. I believe there are others here that have added supports and some other mods to make that access door more sturdy. It's not really designed that well for the amount and placement of all the weight, but I know that skiers never designed that compartment to be completely full of ballast even though the real world says most owners are going to replace their bags with larger ones..

I just took the screws out, replaced them with stainless hexbolts from homedepot, went to 3/4inch on the actual divider and went 1.5inch I think on the part that goes down into the floor. seemed to do the job. had to drill the holes deeper, that was nerve-racking
    think the whole deal was around $12. I believe there are others here that have added supports and some other mods to make that access door more sturdy. It's not really designed that well for the amount and placement of all the weight, but I know that skiers never designed that compartment to be completely full of ballast even though the real world says most owners are going to replace their bags with larger ones..
    For liability and Coast Guard rating they won't beef up that compartment for extra heavy duty they know we'll do to the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    Don't know if you've ever tried this but you can position the 1100 sac in such a way that it leans out and most of the weight rest against the hull and not on the divider wall...at least in my XLV it does. I'll keep an eye on it and look for some bracing material that's easy to remove as well as function
    I totally disagree with this idea, and you are kidding yourself if you think this is true. JMO nothing personal. Yes it would if the bag actually had some substance to it like a rigid container but it does NOT! The pressure of water is directly proportional to the height or column of water. no matter how you place the bag is totally irrelevant to the pressure exerted on your engine divider wall. This is plain simple physics! The greatest pressure will be at the bottom hinges and a reinforcing metal angle piece should be added between the 2 hinges as well as longer screws....at some point you may even want to thru drill your hinge screws thru your engine walls and thru bolt them as again this is where the most pressure will be.
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 12-06-2010 at 08:20 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug