Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I see this more as the AWSA's self created problem. For instance, why aren't boats "grandfathered in" if they haven't changed? Many of the current tournament boats haven't changed for years and, with the exception of MC offering ILMOR engines, neither have the engines. If a tested hull, engine and tranny haven't changed why would a manufacture need to pay to have it re-certified? In my opinion a certified combo should be certified until a major component (hull, engine, tranny) are changed or no longer available as a current model.

going to assume that the awsa, like any business, needs capital to continue to function. part of that capital comes from certifying boats. if they grandfathered existing boats in, how many real changes are there in hull designs over the last 10-15 years? My guess is that they would go from several fees/year to almost nil. of course, on the flip side, it also forces guys that put on the competitions to spend money on boats every few years, which directly helps the boat manuf. by getting new models out on the lake for guys to ski behind, and hopefully the itch to buy a new boat..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I definitely see the issue for funding for the AWSA but I still don't think it justifies forcing a manufacturer to re-certify a boat (at a cost) that has already passed the test when the boat, nor the test, has changed.

The only solution for the funding I really have would be to try to increase participation which would make it easier for the AWSA to find outside sponsors, like when BUD sponsored the Pro Waterski Tour.

I'm a slalom skier and barefooter and buy a new DD every 2 years. Last 26 years I own a car/boat repair company and we do engineering consulting work for major accidents. I have to recertify in 9 different areas every 1 to 4 years. I don't have to do it because it does cost money and time, but it puts me on top of the competition. Doesn't make me any smarter but if you going to do something, go all out so there is no room for complaints.
    That's my opinion. I do enjoy the 2 Outbacks I currently use.