Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Lots of good information here on tower speakers but I found one critical thing missing from the OP. When you do this change on your tower setup, do you want sound on target @ 80feet or are you looking for sound @20feet. This is really the critical element and then all else will fall into place from a sound technology / budget stand point.

If it's more the surf setup your looking for, and budget is the biggest factor, then the best bet is to drop some off the shelf speakers in your existing cans. If you want to spend some more then look at the options earmark laid out. Yes there are benefits to spending more... Ya just plain get more sound, better build etc... But hey, everyone has a limit.

If wakeboard performance @80feet is your thing, step up into HLCDS. But this gets more complicated system wise because I'd be looking closer at what my other sound zones - sub and cabin are capable of. It's easy to end up with to much of one dominating zone.

In either setup , make sure you put as much power amplifier into the configuration you can afford. Big power can really help any speaker. I remember when razz man did his exile setup and went from a standard coaxial to our stuff. He called me a said wow what a difference, wondering why so dramatic. Honestly part is the speaker and part is the abundance of available power on tap for the speakers. Clipping amps make any speaker BAD.

So my advice is, if you are going to keep the pods and the current amp, then find a speaker brand that will fit into that mix. If your open to changes in pod or amp, then you can take a fresh look at system goals.

Just my 28 cents.

Brian,
    Exile Audio

X2 what Brian said, find your target range and then make educated decisions. I found out i didn't need HLCD's due to a varied mix of watersports and chiilin' on our part. Many on here love their HLCD's and I LOVE my non-HLCD Exile SXT's, and there's nothing wrong with that. Listen to whatever's available first before making a decision on anyone's recommendation, nothing worse than spending money on speakers and realizing you don't really like them or bought the wrong gear. Talk to the dealers here, they're all great.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Thanks for the reccommendations to date on this guys. I did froget to mention my "target listening point" in my original post. Which, wouldn't be much over sufring distance.

I know a lot of guys on here have super high powered systems in their boat and on their towers, and I love my music - don't get me wrong - but I don't enjoy hearing someone elses tunes from a boat halfway across the lake. So, I've decided not to be that guy, and didn't want to power up on my tower setup. Just not for me. More power to ya if that's what you want.

For the time being, the Polk's look decent, and with Christmas, I might not have to shell out any money for them. At some point in the future, I'll probably upgrade the pods and speakers, but for now, I'm thinking they will fit the bill nicely.
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Polks db 651's will do the trick and the amp you have with compliment them well with power 65 w rms cheap sound good and when and if you want to upgrade easy to sell to someone for cabin speakers.... good choice for around 100.00 for 2 pair.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

My thoughts exactly!!
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.