Default radio turns off when volume is turned up

Does anyone have any idea why stereo would shut off when radio is turned up to around 25. Comes right back on but shuts off again. Thiught it may be amp but continued to do it with amp disconnected. It is stock kenwood that came with boat, with stock speakers

Quote Originally Posted by tfrd27 View Post
    Does anyone have any idea why stereo would shut off when radio is turned up to around 25. Comes right back on but shuts off again. Thiught it may be amp but continued to do it with amp disconnected. It is stock kenwood that came with boat, with stock speakers
    Ours does the same thing!! I was told it's a safety feature so it will not blow out the speakers. It will go to about 29 with the boat running and about 24 to 25 with the boat off.
    If you figure out how to fix it let me know!!!

Travis

Typically, the only time that a head unit will shut off is when it sees a short on the speaker wires/ terminals (or something close to it) or the amp is getting too hot. Either way, I would check that none of your speaker wires are touching in any way. There is no reason why the head unit should not turn up loud enough for the speakers to start distorting before it shuts off.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

My '04 factory set up was exactly the same way. My recommednation is to replace head unit, all factory speakers and add a 10" sub and tower speakers. That should fix your problem and improve your sound quality. lol
    06 LSV
    2 - 750lb Fatsacks, Custom Sunbrella Cover and Bimini, Kenwood KMR440MU and Amp Bazooka Tower Speakers, Aerial Mirror, Stargazer, 4 Port Heater.

Toys - O'Brien Natural, CWB Pure, IS Yellow Loogie, CWB Ride, Hyperlite Voyageur for the kids.

If that doesn't work, just replace the boat with a new 2011 model.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    If that doesn't work, just replace the boat with a new 2011 model.
    Have any other excuses I could use?
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I had this problem for a while and it took a while to figure out. What was happening with mine, was that the battery could not suppply enough power to the stereo. When the volume is low, the power draw isn't that much, but as soon as it is turned up, the amps begin sucking power from the battery(ies). I even had this problem after adding a second battery. The stock alternator could not keep up with the power draw of the stereo at high volume. I also read somewhere that automotive alternators are not very good at charging deep cycle batteries. My stereo could draw a fully charged group 27 deep cycle battery down low enough that the stereo would not play after only two trips to the lake. I bought a deep cycle trickle charger and as soon as I get the boat back in the garage, the charger gets plugged in.

Quote Originally Posted by tfrd27 View Post
    My kenwood did the same but it cut out a 15 which was`t very loud i checked all my connections still the same so i put my JBL deck from my other boat no more cutting out problem.
    2012 Mobius LSV
    05 Outback LS SOLD

TOO HOT!! Same here when I'm in party cove and Its pumpin. I am thinking of adding a lil DIY solar fan to suck out the hot air?? Jet
    89' Comp Resto:
    http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=8193

Riding and Mod pic's:
    http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/album.php?albumid=86

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-PPI Amps 1750 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

I bought a new sony stereo for my boat and had the exact same problem. Just ran a ground wire from my stereo directly to the negative terminal on my battery. Problem solved.