Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boat Insurance

I was also quoted $450 a year through Allstate. But I'm debating if I should insure it at all. I haven't insured any of my boats in the past. But then again you know how people sue if they get hurt.
    Patrick
    '08 Mobius LS. 4 Blade OJ 13x13 Prop.
    Kenwood KMR440U & RC107MR, T600-2 Rockford Fosgate powering 2 Liquid Acoustics 8" HLCD, Kicker SKM10 subwoofer
    5 light- light bar.
    2015 RAM 3500HD Dually 6.7 Diesel w/ Aisin 6 speed tranny
    Live life today!

Quote Originally Posted by harmsway View Post
    I was also quoted $450 a year through Allstate. But I'm debating if I should insure it at all. I haven't insured any of my boats in the past. But then again you know how people sue if they get hurt.
    Texas law requires bodily injury and property damage insurance on boats. NC has non insurance laws whatsoever?

No insurance is required in NC unless you have a loan on the boat & then it is only required by the lender. I am sure with the amount of boaters increasing that will change before long.
    Patrick
    Kenwood KMR440U & RC107MR, T600-2 Rockford Fosgate powering 2 Liquid Acoustics 8" HLCD, Kicker SKM10 subwoofer
    5 light- light bar.
    Live life today!

Boat US has ins for my Outback for under 400. full coverage, low deductible and liability.
    08 Outback. Private Lake Owner.

I use SkiSafe. They insure ski boats as a specialty. I pay $320/yr for full coverage for the boat, trailer, and $5000 in gear with a $500 deductable.
    I have never had a claim (since 1995), do I don't know about their service. I was pointed in their direction when I bought my first ski boat. They have consistantly been cheaper than USAA, Progressive, Gieco, and State Farm each time I have shopped around.
    They will not insure your boat if you use in salt water.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by harmsway View Post
    No insurance is required in NC unless you have a loan on the boat & then it is only required by the lender. I am sure with the amount of boaters increasing that will change before long.
    So IF an uninsured boat causes damage to another boat or property, what happens? Does the person WITH insurance have their own insurance cover repairs caused by the uninsured and the uninsured is sued? I know in Texas police know if your car is uninsured by just running the plate...I hope boats go this route where law enforcement can run your hull numbers.
    Last edited by you da man; 11-28-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Btw, one of the reasons i use Western Marine is i have full replacement coverage if the boat is totaled or sunk and rendered useless. Was worth it to me as i have to tow at least an hour through some pretty hairy traffic at times to get to the lake.
    2007 Mobius LSV

American National................Under $200.00
    08 LSV, Z-5 CARGO, TANDOM AXLE CUSTOM WHEELS TRAILER.....HOME LAKE IS BILLY CHINOOK CENTRAL OREGON

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Btw, one of the reasons i use Western Marine is i have full replacement coverage if the boat is totaled or sunk and rendered useless. Was worth it to me as i have to tow at least an hour through some pretty hairy traffic at times to get to the lake.
    I have the same replacement coverage as well

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    So IF an uninsured boat causes damage to another boat or property, what happens? Does the person WITH insurance have their own insurance cover repairs caused by the uninsured and the uninsured is sued? I know in Texas police know if your car is uninsured by just running the plate...I hope boats go this route where law enforcement can run your hull numbers.
    That is good question. I know in NC that if you have an automobile crash in a parking lot, it is ruled no fault on either side even if it is your fault and you have to cover your own repairs. On the water may be the same way. Not saying that you can't sue the other party involved.
    Boat insurance has always seemed over priced for the amount of use you actually get out of the insurance. When the boat is @ the house it is covered by home owners insurance, when you are towing it is covered by automotive insurance, if your lucky you can use it from April to October. But I guess what really is the major cost is the liabilty portion of boat insurance if someone gets hurt.
    Patrick
    5 light- light bar.
    Live life today!