Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ocean surfing

Default ocean surfing

Down in CostaRica and tried the real thing yesterday.....definitely harder than wakesurfing and wow talk about having to paddle my arms off tocatch the wave.....thank god you dont have to paddle to catch the boat wake
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Smile

Also depends on the size of board and wave size as well.Years ago on honeymoon went to Hawaii and got a monster board,because i was a novice. Could not get up or catch a wave for the life of me. Next day asked for a medium sized board,also much lighter and with comparable waves i was able to get up and ride a few waves.
    The big board was stable but a monster,the smaller board was good and stable enough with a little balance and with practice a small light board would be a lot of fun i think.
    07 Outback DD

I took up surfing when I was stationed in San Diego. Bought a 8'6" board and went a few times a week. I even took a lesson to get started. After about a year, I still suck! It is a workout, so that was good. It really took a lot for me to go out in 58 degree water, but as I sat on my board in the morning before work, occasionally the BUDS (Navy Seals) guys would swim by on their 5 mile morning swim and I didn't feel so cold.
    While I can get up and ride waves up to about 5', I am limited on an skill. After years of wakeboarding and snowboarding, I thought I would pick it up pretty quick. No dice.

One morning when riding with friends from work, I dropped in on a nice large wave and proceeded to get crushed. It felt like 30 seconds underwater, probably a real 15 sec, that really took some confidence away.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Where in Costa Rica? We spent a week in Tamarindo a few years ago... Tried surfing - never cught a wave. But my son sort of figured it out... A lot of waiting - both to recover from the paddle and for the right wave.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

I surfed Hawaii (born there) and lived in Texas most my life and lived near the coast for a couple years. Yes, you can surf in Texas every so often. The waves are small and hardly any power unless you paddle waaaaaay out. I rode a 6'8" board in Texas and similar size boards in Hawaii. Ocean surfing is harder than wakesurfing...you really can't compare the two but wakesurfing will give you an edge when learning to ocean surf. As mentioned, in ocean surfing you need to have a strong upper body to paddle into the wave. You also need to be able to get out to the waves by paddling and often duck diving under the waves. Wakesurfing the wave doesn't change (except the ocassional roller). Ocean surfing, two waves are rarely alike. Wakesurfing you only have to worry about not dinging the platform. Ocean surfing you have to worry about the bottom/reef and something eating you.
    Last edited by you da man; 11-24-2010 at 12:29 AM.

I actually surfed in the ocean for years in australia, where I am from, before I ever tried wake surfing. When I tried wake surfing I found it really easy to get the balance and let go of the rope, but most of my friends can not get it and get frustrated when they see how easy it is for me. They don't believe me when I tell them that it takes years of consistent surfing to get even close to standing and feeling confident. there definitely is crossover, but I wouldn't say that it is close to the same feeling.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

This is me at Ollies Point in CR last July:
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

2007 Outback V

that is a sick pic!

Nice!! One of the only real uses for a jet-ski or waverunner or whatever is to tow the surfers back out.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

awesome pic canuckle......am at playa grande going out again tomorrow, but that pic is only in my dreams after one day at it
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug