Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Winterize quick disconnect

When I winterized this winter, I diconnected the quick coupling which is suppose to drain the manifolds but no water came out. Has anyone else seen this? I also filled the engine with pink antifreeze and I think it took 2 gallons or so.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

you have the dripless seal that is hooked up to these lines, so any water/a freeze flows out the seal
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by phospher View Post
    no water came out. Has anyone else seen this?
    phospher - Based on my experience with '07 Outback, that is not normal. A black hose at the rear of the engine connects the two exhaust manifolds. On my Outback, a threaded garden hose fitting lets me disconnect the hose and separate it into two pieces. As soon as I unthread the fitting, water drains from the manifolds and runs out each of the two hose sections and down into the bilge. Cannot imagine why no water drained from your manifolds. Regarding the antifreese treatment, I winterize using five gallons. In addition to the engine block, I need enough to also circulate through the heater lines and core. Doc makes reference to the dripless seal, but I'm not sure how this relates to the issue you raise. He is much better at this stuff than me, so could be that I'm not fully understanding your situsation. Let's see if he chimes back in here. Want to make sure you get the bext advice possible. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    you have the dripless seal that is hooked up to these lines, so any water/a freeze flows out the seal
    DOC the manifold drain is not connected to the dripless. I just winterized last weekend and probably dumped 1/2 - 3/4 of a gallon out of the manifold connect hose when seperated.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    DOC the manifold drain is not connected to the dripless. I just winterized last weekend and probably dumped 1/2 - 3/4 of a gallon out of the manifold connect hose when seperated.
    I guess some boats have it connected to the exhaust mani quick connect and some to the post impeller hose, I thought it was just some of the DD's my mistake, mine is at the Emani quick connect, and I get no water out when i disconnect it. Phospher needs to tell us where his dripless is hooked up. All 07 and up have the dripless as standard equipment.

so back to the original question the i have to agree that no water is not normal, and maybe he should look for a blockage or run the boat and disconnect to see if water flows out throu the quick connector maybe
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 11-16-2010 at 10:38 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

There is in-fact a water line that runs from one of the disconnect hoses to the dripless seal. This is my first time winterizing the Outback so I'm trying to figure out whats normal and not.
    Thanks guys.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

Phospher needs to tell us where his dripless is hooked up. All 07 and up have the dripless as standard equipment.
    On my boat ('10 LSV) the water supply for the dripless shaft seal is feed from a port on the transmission cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by phospher View Post
    There is in-fact a water line that runs from one of the disconnect hoses to the dripless seal. This is my first time winterizing the Outback so I'm trying to figure out whats normal and not.
    Thanks guys.

So that is in fact why no water came out , see my first post.....there are 2 variations on dripless hook up, all depends if it was transmission Bob or exhaust Bob in the factory who hooked it up
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug

So that is in fact why no water came out , see my first post.....there are 2 variations on dripless hook up, all depends if it was transmission Bob or exhaust Bob in the factory who hooked it up
    ha ha - funny docdrs!
    I'd be interested in seeing a picture phospher if you get a chance. Both mine and deerfield's are plumbed into the port side post impeller housing.

Here's a picture of how ours r plumbed in
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by viking; 11-17-2010 at 10:47 PM. Reason: attach picture

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    ha ha - funny docdrs!
    I'd be interested in seeing a picture phospher if you get a chance. Both mine and deerfield's are plumbed into the port side post impeller housing.

Here's a picture of how ours r plumbed in
    not trying to be funny, mine is plumbed into the exhaust coupler as well, well maybe a little .......but I guess it is odd that S.C. installs these 2 different ways on both the dd's and the vd's oops or maybe it indmar that does.... but here you can see my blue tube coming off (just above water strainer) courtesy of Exhaust Bobby
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 11-18-2010 at 07:55 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

Doug